Justin Williams
Justin Williams,
Experience:  Freelance IT Consultant at Westlake Computers LLC
93707858

I just purchased a GE Air conditioner with wifi. After

Customer Question

I just purchased a GE Air conditioner with wifi. After setting it up, it could not find my home network and said I should purchase a wifi extender. I did, and the extender is up and working and connects to my iPad, laptop, etc. but the AC still cannot find my network or the extender network. Help!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Justin Williams replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I have some experience using the GE Wifi Connect feature on some of their appliances. Are you using your smart phone to try and connect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to connect through the app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's GE comfort app. Showing several wifi networks except my home and the extender.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?

Hello, I apologize. Are you connecting to the air conditioner's network? From my understanding you are supposed to enter the passcode from the side of the air conditioner after pressing the wifi button on it and then connect to the wifi network of the air conditioner. Were you able to get this far?

The air conditioner has it's own wifi network that you connect to directly from your smart phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did all that. When I get to step 3 where it asks me to select my home network, neither of the networks are shown.

Understood, just wanted to make sure you got that far. It's likely that the air conditioner isn't compatible with your current wifi encryption settings.

Do you know what encryption method the extender and wifi router are using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wep? I don't know if that's right but that's what I use for my password

That makes more sense then. WEP is outdated and unsupported by many modern devices.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the extender is brand new.

I understand this. WEP is an old standard that still works on some devices, like extenders, to allow for compatibility, but others dont support it anymore. It is also very easily hacked by anyone with a little bit of knowledge.

You need to change your encryption method to WPA or WPA2. This is done through the graphical interface of the router and extender. If you are unable to get into your router and change it, I can possibly login and assist you with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No offense, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.

No problem, but I am certain that it will fix your issue. Do a simply google search for "do not use WEP" or something similar to understand the problems with it and why noone uses it anymore.

I can try my best to walk you through it if you tell me your router model number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will I be able to change it without having to change the router?

Absolutely, it's just a setting on the router.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

Offered a phone call if you want to make it easier. No worries if you don't want to go that route, will try my best to help here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to do this on the OC connected to my router or can I use a wireless laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PC

Wireless laptop will work fine as long as it's connected to your wireless network. You will have to manually reconnect after making the change.

You need to find the IP address for the router/wifi device. Can you tell me what operating system you are using on your laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Xp

Okay, you need to click on start>run and then type "cmd" into the run box. (without quotes)
Press <Enter> or Okay and that should bring up a black command prompt window.

Inside the command prompt Window you need to type in "ipconfig" minus quotes and press <enter>

One of the lines should look something like this:

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

The ip address after default gateway will most likely be the address of your main wifi device. Can you tell me what it is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
192.168.1.1

Okay, please go into your web browser on the laptop and type that into the address bar at the top and press enter.. That should open the login page for your router.

Are you able to tell me the model or at least the brand of your router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Verizon actiontec

Try admin for the username and "password" for the password, no quotes.

Not sure if I'm looking at the right Actiontec router, but it looks like the settings might be under "Wireless Settings" at the top and then "advanced security settings" on the left.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says login failed

Okay, sometimes the password ***** ***** actual router serial number. Can you look at the bottom of the physical router and try the serial number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok there are a couple of numbers so let me try those
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serial number is ***** working. There is a WEP, WAN, WPS and then a long number under a barcode

Hmm. It's possible the Verizon installer changed the password. You may need to contact verizon to get into your router to make the change. You can also hold a paper clip or something in the back pinhole for 15-20 seconds, and that will reset the password ***** the default "password", but it will also reset the wireless network and you would have to reconnect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be my wifi password?

Nope, sorry... It is a separate password ***** access the graphical interface.

Let me know if you were able to resolve this, and please consider giving me a positive rating if the information I provided was helpful to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wasn't able to resolve it other than upgrade my router to one with better range. But thanks for all your help!

No problem. I'm glad you were able to get it fixed.