Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist
62741268

ASUS RT87U: I must have changed some settings. Can't get to

Customer Question

ASUS RT87U: I must have changed some settings. Can't get to URL using either 192.168.1.1 nor router.asus.com. I get Error code: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy IT Tech replied 9 months ago.

This sounds like there was a glitch in the router configuration, you will need to reset the router. The first step in any reset is to make sure the router is on. Do not unplug or turn off the router during the process or it could cause permanent damage.

Locate your tiny reset button. It is a recessed button on the back panel. Then take a sharp object such as a sharpened pencil or unwound pencil and press and hold down the reset button for about 10 seconds.

Don't forget that this will erase everything you have ever done to your router. The entire configuration goes back to factory defaults.

Asus RT-AC87U IP Addresses

192.168.1.1

Put the Internal IP Address of your Asus RT-AC87U in the Address Bar of your web browser. Then press the Enter key on your keyboard. You should see a dialog box pop up asking your for your Asus RT-AC87U username and password.

username admin

password *****

Please let me know if this does not work or if you need any other assistance.

Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a way to save the settings before?

no, unfortunately it sounds like the firmware on the router was corrupted. The reset will be the only option.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thx, i can't do this now... it's 22:53h and i need the internet, but i will do this tomorrow.
I think the problem was that the dlink and the asus shared the same ip. I set the asus ip to 192.168.1.2 and then the problem begins.

okay, sounds good. Let me know if you need anything.

Let me know if this does not work and we can try another solution.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance or if everything is good, take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!