Kamil Anwar, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I have a Linksys WRT1900AC router. I have just had satellite

Customer Question

I have a Linksys WRT1900AC router. I have just had satellite internet connected to my house. My ISP says I need to go into the router settings and enter a username and password ***** all the router to talk to the satellite modem. They gave me the user name and password. How do I get into the router settings to do this?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 7 months ago.

Did the ISP give you a modem which you can connect to wirelessly or wired?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The modem is wired to the router. It is not a wireless modem
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Beside entering the username and password, they said that I may need to tell the router what type of Encapsulation. I should tell it that it is PPOE. But how do I get into the router settings to do this?

The Linksys WRT1900AC should already be connected to the model if the ethernet cable is connected to the internet port on the back of the linksys router. If you still want to login, then connect to the router (wirelessly) and locate its default gateway IP, open the default gateway IP in the web browser and you will be taken to the login page. Login, using the username and password ***** the router. As far as i know, WRT1900AC won't work with bridged DSL modems.

Because it is a WiFi only router not a DSL router. It can work with existing modems and routers if the modem or the other router has the internet but it cannot be connected to the internet directly.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I find out the default IP address? Also I was already using this router with the previous satellite service provider with no problems. I am not sure I know what a Bridged DSL connection is.

The settings you are telling me about the PPPoE is not supported by this router. It may be possible that you just had this router connected to the modem and it picked up signals from the modem, which is generally how it works. To find out the IP Address, first connect to the router, wirelessly or wired, and then open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all it will display the default gateway ip address which is the one you need to open in a browser to access router's configuration.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is not connected o the internet directly. It is connected to the satellite modem via the Ethernet cable from the back of the modem to the router. It was working in this configuration with my previous satellite service which has now been upgraded with a new dish and modem.

That is how it should be. I just provided you the steps to get into the router above.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. Appreciated

Welcome. If you need any further assistance - let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got the default gateway IP address. But when I enter it into the URL line of IE it does not find the device and says 'This page cannot be displayed" What am I doing wrong?

Right now, are you connected to the modem or to the router?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am connected wirelessly to the router

What is the default gateway ip? you must not be connected to the modem if you are trying to get into the router.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
IP is 172.19.249.1 I am wirelessly connected to the router which is connected to the modem

Your internet is working then, why do you need to login to the router then? You can still login to router, but you'll have to connect to the router only (by disconnecting it from the modem) first. BUT since internet is already working, it doesn't make sense to login and change settings.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Because my old satellite is still working. There is a new dish on my roof and modem inside. But I cannot get the router working so I turned on the old modem so that I would have internet access to research what I need to do to configure the router as my ISP says I should. Same ISP, he old system was an interim service until a new satellite was launched and now that it has the government is replacing the old interim services with the latest technology. Until I connect with the new modem my old service is still available. But once I have entered the username and password ***** the old service will be disconnected.

You need to disconnect the modem from the router. Then connect to the router (wirelessly or wired), then see what the default gateway ip is, and then access it in the browser.