Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

Windows 7 unable to connect to router ...... Have disabled

Customer Question

Windows 7 unable to connect to router ...... Have disabled and abled, done system restore, checked router working (other people in household using, they got connected automatically. Used the laptop in another location on a different router and now back home trying to connect to usual router. Did all trouble shooting I can think of. No luck.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 6 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I ask for the brand and model name of your wireless router or your wireless modem?

Once I have the above requested information, I will be able to give you the correct answer.

I look forward to your response,
Jason

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Huawei

Thank you for the update.

How about this; can you plug the problem wireless computer into the router or modem with a cable and allow me to run a secure remote assistance session on the computer so I can setup the wireless connection?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No

How do you wish to continue? Please, give me the model name of your Huawei router.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HG532f I think

When you attempt to connect, what happens?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I get the response "Windows was unable to connect to xxxxx"

Do you have any Windows computer connected to the router currently?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All others in the household are able to connect with their particular laptops. I am now connected with my iPhone
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No others connected at the moment

Can you reconnect a Windows computer to the router right now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I'm trying to connect mine. No other Windows here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Two iPhones now connected

Okay. On the iPhone, do the following:
- From the home screen, tap Settings > Wifi > Long tap the wireless signal and choose Modify network.

- What is displayed for the Gateway IP Address?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't see "modify network"
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After long tap signal, ip 10.0.04

Okay. What is the gateway IP?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't see that anywhere

On the iPhone, do the following:
- Click this link: http://10.0.0.1

The username and password ***** both admin

- Tap the Wireless link.

- Tape the Wireless Security link.

On the resulting page, verify that you are using the correct password ***** the computer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Before I do that I should mention that the computer does not ask for the password. I'm sure if it did, I could fill in and it would work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Remember, I was on another password ***** another router. Now want to get back to this router. Normally it would automatically connect and then ask for the (new) password. It is not asking for it though.

That means that it is not setup correctly. On the computer, right click the network and choose delete/remove. Then you can add it back with the correct password.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You mean change adapter settings? I have disabled and abled that many times.I removed and have landed up with no network setup and. request to type in network security key

No, I do not mean change adapter settings. Click the wireless icon located near the clock on the computer, click your wireless signal, and then click the Disconnect button. Disconnect from the signal. Then reconnect to the signal. When you do that, it should ask for the password.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Stuffed up now. Disconnected and now asking for security key. Tried that but mismatch every time

A "mismatch" occurs when you type the password ***** incorrectly one of the times. On the window that asks for the password, there are two entry fields. Be sure to enter the same password ***** both fields. Please, try again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, this is a mismatch with the router - the router network security key. I typed it in as from the bottom of the router but Network Security Mismatch. I inadvertently removed the connection I had.

Okay, so it doesn't say mismatch. Please, follow the instructions that I gave you before. Here they are again.

On the iPhone, do the following:
- Click this link: http://10.0.0.1

- Tap the Wireless link.

- Tape the Wireless Security link.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Taking ages to connect to link.

Okay. I am assuming that is the correct gateway because you were not able to give it to me earlier.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It won't connect. Don't know what you mean by gateway but it's the ip address

Go back to the ip settings. Which numbers do you see there besides the IP address?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have inadvertently removed the network and now cannot reconnect because of a security key mismatch.Connecting and disconnecting the signal was done numerous times / doesn't come up with request for password ***** nothing but unable to connect to router.Right now I disconnected from the network and can't seem to get the security key right.

That is because you have the wrong key. Are you not able to get to the 10.0.0.1 page?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Router 10.0.0.2 = gateway?

Yes, that is correct.

On the iPhone, do the following:
- Click this link: http://10.0.0.2

- Tap the Wireless link.

- Tape the Wireless Security link.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Passwords admin/admin don't work - failed twice lower key

That means that you changed it at one time in the past. The username will remain to be admin

Please, try logging in with the password ***** you changed it to.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Won't log in on password ***** on previous occasion in different city/different router nor on one used for this router

Okay. If need be, you can reset the router.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I reset router, others will lose their connections?

Yes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no option. Looks like we have come to a dead end and worse off.

How are you worse off?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Security key also disconnected

What does that mean?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's the message the PC is giving. Type in network security key and this is a mismatch. Not talking about passwords

How does that put you in a worse off situation? I am confused. Earlier, you had the wrong password ***** and now it doesn't allow you to re-enter it because it is wrong. In effect, it is the same.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found the solution. I removed the network connections (inadvertently) and could not reconnect because it asked for Security Key (as per router). This router security key (as per router) did not match. I then tried the last password ***** the security key and it worked. Thank you.

You are super welcome.

Thank you for your time, the chance to work with you, and for the update.

I am a member of all computer, networking, and cell phone categories. If you ever need anything else, please let me know.

I'm online most hours of the day and only a brief time away.

-Jason

If you need help in the future and wish to work with me, you may request me either by posting the question on my profile page or by prefacing your question with, "For ***** ***** Only!"