Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

TV CANT FIND MY INTERNET. THEN TRIED FEW THINGS. NOTHING

Customer Question

TV CANT FIND MY INTERNET. THEN TRIED FEW THINGS. NOTHING WORKED. THEN I TURNED DHCP ON.. NOW CANT GET IT TO TURN OFF.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me how far the tv is from the router?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
close.. it was working at one time.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
wireless
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Can you give me a specific distance?
Within a few feet?
In the same room?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
few feet .that should not matter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I'm here, trying to type. Please give me a few moments to finish composing a detailed response. When you send new messages I lose what I'm working on and have to start all over.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

It can and does matter, which is why I'm asking, as it is important to the diagnostic process.

Chances are this is an internal issue in the tv, the wireless adapter card inside these tvs have very high failure rates.

There are some steps we can take to reset and reconfigure both the router and the tv, but ultimately further repairs may be required.

IF the router really is that close to the tv though, the wifi connection is not only unnecessary, but can even be counterproductive.

When in close proximity, you are actually better off using a WIRED ethernet connection, meaning to plug an lan/ethernet cable from the router to the tv. This gives the tv a direct connection which is not only faster, but also more stable, it wont' cut out or buffer like the wifi connection would.

I'm happy to go through the other steps with you, if you want to try, but for the cost of a $5 cord you can just plug in, you'd save yourself a lot of time and frustration by just switching to the wired connection, which should work automatically upon plugging it in. I would recommend making that switch.

If you don't have a cord handy, you can pick one up anywhere that sells computers or electronics, or online: http://amzn.to/1WXxdvL

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
really a cord .. no
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

The cord really is the preferred connection method, when possible.

We can certainly go through the other steps, but based on experience and the high failure rates with these tvs internal wifi hardware, you will likely be faced with spending hundreds to repair the tv, or switching to the cord as an alternative to repairs anyway, if the reset/configure steps do not help.

Are you saying you are unwilling to use the cord connection?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well if a cord is worth a $28 bill you are nuts.. you dont have a clue how to even get the vizio to turn off DHCP. OR GET INTERNET TO WORK SO IF YOU CHARGING ME MONEY TO TELL ME TO PLUG IT IN I WILL TURN YOU INTO BETTER BUSINESS
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I am trying to help you, and part of that is telling you the best way to resolve the situation.
The cord really is it.

I've offered several times to go through the other process with you, but in the end even if that works, it is still not the ideal connection, which is what I'm trying to convey here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
GO THREW IT WITHOUT CORD.. TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

This would be a standard 4 conductor phone extension cable,

this would be suitable: http://amzn.to/1Run295

Best regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I SAID NO CORD..
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

OKay, but to be clear, that may be the only possible resolution in the end.

The dhcp setting is not the issue here,

it should be on. The purpose of it is for the tv to pick up an IP address from the router automatically.

If you disable it, that means you have to manually enter all the connection details (IP, DNS, Gateway, etc), which is not a standard configuration.

You need dhcp to be on.

Start by unplugging power to both the router and the tv, each for 60+ seconds.

Go into the tv setup, then do the factory reset option from the tv menu (restore defaults)

Then go into the tv network/wireless settings and scan for networks. Does it find your network name? Does it prompt you to enter a password?
Does it see any other local/neighboring networks?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
WHEN I DO THAT I WILL BE DISCONNECTED FROM SO THANK YOU FOR NOTHING.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

This is a temporary process.

Yes, you'd lose your internet connection, for a few minutes, it will come right back.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me the make and model of the internet router its trying to connect to please?