Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Dear Drew, I just saw you solved some general networking

Customer Question

Dear Drew,
I just saw you solved some general networking issues and I'd love to know if you can solve mine. The question is rather simple. If I connect an IP cam trough the Ethernet connection of a computer, can I have the router of my home be aware of this IP cam (non-wireless) connected trough my laptop?
I need to connect an IP-cam to the internet but I need a laptop in between.
If so, what is the procedure?
Best regards
Helio
Category: Networking
Expert:  patriciomolina replied 6 months ago.

Hello, what is the IP model that you have? I would like to see what options are available on that model. If the Cam can be plugged to the network the best way would be to plug it in to your router and set an static IP that way you can reach that CAM from any PC on your home network.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your interest.
I need the cam actually to be accessed remotely from outside this network. The problem is that the camera and the router are in different locations. The camera is a mobotix c25. It is connected to a PC (LAN), which is connected to the router (WI-FI). I need the router to camera to get an address from the router directly and there should be a way to either bypass the lan and the wifi connection (when I do this, PC loses internet as it seams lan has some sort of priory) or by using the PC as sort of another router? Or ideally the cam just can take an address from the router if the firewall allows?
Best
Helio

can you please let me know what operating system are you running on the PC that is being used to connect your IP CAM?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Windows 10 :)

I am assuming you already created a between your Wireless and Lan connection, right?

I am assuming you already created a bridge between your Wireless and Lan connection, right?

I am assuming you already created a between your Wireless and Lan connection, right?Please note that the primary network adapter on the computer will lose internet connectivity. If you need to have both computer and IP Cam on the network, i suggest you buy a USB wireless adapter that way you can have 1 wireless connection active and the other wireless connection creating the bridge for your IP CAM.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Patricio,
(Are you spanish btw? So I am :)
To create a link between both networks (I link both) what happens is that I lose the internet. I believe what happens is that the internet is thought to come from the LAN as it has some sort of priority. Is there not a way to have the internet from the wireless still? I believe I manged once to have the camera acess to the router directly without linking both. (I saw that in the registers of the router) Thing is is I tested so many things that I have no idea what could have been it :S

Hello, yes i am Hispanic :) Now, yes, if you bridge your wireless and your lan, your laptop will loose connectivity. What you can do is get another wireless connection (USB dongle) to connect to your network that way, both your computer and your IP CAM will connect.

- Wireless1 (bridge) Ethernet > IP CAM

- Wireless2 (computer)

let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear *****ricio,Thank you very much for your answer. Although you proposed an smart way to overcome the issue, it was not really true that when bridging the lan and the wifi the wireless conection had to be lost automatically. Actually I found a solution to maintain this connectivity by following this instructions:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/wired-and-wireless-connections-on-the-same-windows/ee40d9a6-297b-46d4-b5c8-db57d927b62e?auth=1Summary:
"When more than one network connection is available, Windows uses the one with the lowest metric value. By default, it automatically assigns a metric value based on the network connection's rated speed. See An explanation of the Automatic Metric feature for Internet Protocol routes .To force Windows to use a specific network connection, assign a metric value to each one, giving the lowest value to the desired connection:1. Open the Network Connections folder (Start > Run > ncpa.cpl)
2. Right click the desired connection.
3. Click Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4.
4. Click Properties > Advanced.
5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric". "
Thanks again for your ideas.