Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

I am trying to setup a new Apple extreme.. I had it briefly

Customer Question

I am trying to setup a new Apple extreme.. I had it briefly yesterday but lost it. My internet provider has checked the signal and says it is excellent. Currently I have the extreme plugged in to power and the Ethernet cable. It continues to flash orange. My computer does not recognize it. HELP!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 5 months ago.
Hi Allison! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent technology expert who's been paired with you through It is my pleasure to assist you today.To confirm, your internet cable comes from the wall, plugs into your modem, and then you have your Airport Extreme connected to the modem. Is that correct?If I've understood the above correctly, the problem may be that you are double-NAT'd; that is, both your modem and your Airport are trying to route traffic, and it's gumming up the works. If so, your easiest fix will be to put your Airport into "bridge" mode. To do that:Connect your computer to the Airport base station (either via ethernet or Wi-Fi), and then launch the Airport Utility (built-in on your Mac). The utility is located in /Applications/Utilities. Once it loads, you will see your Airport router listed in the upper left corner. If the router doesn’t show up, make sure you are physically connected to its network from your Mac.Click “Manual Setup” towards the bottom of the window and then click the “Internet” icon that appears at the top of the window.After you click the “Internet” icon, the Internet Connection tab should appear. At the bottom of this window, you will see an option for “Connection Sharing.” By default, this is probably set to “Distribute a range of IP addresses” or “Share a public IP address.” You want to change this so that it says “Off (Bridge Mode)”At this point, your Airport and modem will work together more seamlessly, and it should fix the problem! Please post back to let us know if it helped.
Hi Allison! It's been a bit since we chatted, but I wondered whether you were able to get your Apple Airport Extreme setup? Please let me know. Thanks!