Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

Richard, I have the same problem with my Xbox and other devices

Customer Question

Richard, I have the same problem with my Xbox and other devices in my house. I have installed a TP link wifi extender and cannot access internet via it.
I am trying your Xbox solution and it is the same as the person above, however after your advice I am still getting an error. The first suggestion it gives me is NAT error.
Can you help please?
Alan
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, can you help with this please?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I'm not sure from your description what the Xbox problem is, but the range extender problem may be simpler than it seems: Remember that in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend. And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too). This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work. Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router with a wireless-equipped laptop (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from the same physical position that you intend to install the range extender, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.) Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.