Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers

Have a question about ipsec VPN

Customer Question

Have a question about ipsec VPN
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a site to site ipse VPN tunnel configured between two locations and the tunnel is configured and I can communicate from either side to the router, however I am unable to see or communicate with workstations within the remote network on either side.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The topology is as follows ROUTER A(>MODEM ( -------INTERNET------ROUTER B(
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the VPN tunnel doesn't reach into the local network, then consider firewalls and ports:1. firewalls are mostly on computers (some routers have them in an advanced sense, but:)2. ports are forwarded through router firewalls, since routers are conduit devices not endpoints3. therefore the firewalls on the computers and the port forwarding on the routers, are both probably significant in a case like your question. Check both, all the way from one computer endpoint, to its local router, to the other local router at the other site, to computer at the other endpoint and its firewall.4: note: only one of the computers (probably the one at the other endpoint) need have its firewall worried about, since communication is evidently stopping at the other site's router or only getting that far.5: note also: a computer's firewall may let VPN work one way through its firewall, but not the other way. The difference is between incoming and outgoing connections, of course.