Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.

I am trying to setup my dvr through my router and it not working

Customer Question

I am trying to setup my dvr through my router and it not working for me
JA: Routing question, huh? Fortunately, the tech wizards we work with know networking, and I'd like to connect you with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i followed everything and still does not give me access
JA: Is there anything else the Network Technician should be aware of?
Customer: i put some port in and cannot access it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I will be the person helping you today. I can help you in one of two ways:1) We will communicate back and forth on this page.2) Remote support, which would allow me to take a look at the problem and fix it for you while you watch. In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.As a side note, both options are covered by a 100% guarantee and fully refundable, if we are not able to fix your problem.If you wish to choose the first option, please let me know so we can begin. If you wish to choose the second, better option, then click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like to fix it myself, I have put all the port forwarding IP's in and checked on them and they are still closed, I am trying to connect to my camera's to see them from the internet. I did notice on the DVR that server was checked at one time we had Costco services helping out setting up our camera's, could that be the problem I am having with port forwarding
Hello, We can try it your way. I see that you have entered the port forwarding rules into the router. Have you put in the correct port forwarding rules into the modem as well? On the modem, you need to forward all the wanted ports to the router's WAN IP. Please, answer my questions below.1) What is the brand and model name of your router? 2) What is the brand and model name of your modem?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Netgear nighthawk ac1900
Model SMC8014
The SMC8014 modem is also a router, which means you will have to forward all the ports that you wish to forward on the modem as well. On the modem, forward them to the "WAN IP" of the Netgear router. That will get you up and running.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** not realize that the modem was a router too. fixed
Fantastic. I am glad to hear that.I look forward to your rating of my help on the top of this page. If you have any questions about rating me, please let me know.Thank you for your time and please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.- Jason In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!"My Profile page: