Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

My Seagate Central is broken and I've been trying to figure

Customer Question

My Seagate Central is broken and I've been trying to figure out what is wrong and whether or not it can be fixed.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The device shows up on the network (Windows 7) but all of the files that used to be there are gone. The device also shows up on the router's device table. Ordinarily, I can access the device settings by entering its IP into my browser, but now it says that isn't getting any response. I've tried doing a hard reset of the device but either I'm not doing it correctly or the device refuses to reset the network settings. Interestingly enough, I tried adding some new files to the device as a test and they seem to be accessible (so the HDD is still functioning at some level. However, I cannot seem to connect to these files outside of the "Network" folder from other programs or other devices. I can, however, access the files from different computers
JA: Networking issues can get really frustrating, but I know just the Network Technician to help you. Is there anything else the Network Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 months ago.
Sounds like some drives may be would have to pull them to know for sure. The fact that its coming up and showing up on the router is good, but that just means the segate unit is working, the drives may have errors, or died. Make sense? If you like we can talk about this on the phone in more detail for 5.00.