Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Networking
16433418

Good Morning Pearl - I installed by router quite a while ago

Customer Question

Good Morning Pearl - I installed by router quite a while ago and have now forgotten the password. Can I recover it?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a guest who wishes to utilize my WiFi. I have forgotten the password
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Network Technician should know?
Customer: The router is a Cisco Linksys EA3500
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Do you have any computer there connected to your WiFi network ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have my iPhone5C and a Verizon tablet
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
You need to login to your router to get the WiFi password. On your iPhone or Tablet connected to your WiFi network, open the browser (Safari or Internet app) and go to this website --> 192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1 If asked for router configuration password, enter admin for both username and password. Now click on Wireless tab > Security section and you will see the WiFi password ***** (WiFi key or passphrase or WPA key). Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Neither device is connecting to the IP address using Safari or Chrome
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
On your iPhone, go to Settings > WiFi. Tap the i button next to your WiFi network Look for the router address. Then open that address with Safari or Chrome
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got an error message stating 502-Bad Gateway
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
What is the router address you see on your iPhone ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
192.168.2.1
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
On your iPhone, open Safari and write the address like this http://192.168.2.1
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it also lists an IP address
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
We need the router address. That is the address to login to router configuration page where you can retrieve the password.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
got the same error message
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Do you have a PC or laptop there connected to your WiFi network ? And check the bottom of the router. Do you see WiFi key or passphrase there ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I don't have it connected. The bottom of the router has serial numbers and what looks to be a "refresh" symbol with a set of numbers
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
There should be a key or passphrase on the router. It should be under SSID Did you try those as password ? If that didn't work then turn off your router and unplug it for 3 minutes. Then turn it back on and try to access http://192.168.2.1 Does it open router configuration page or ask for any password ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Can you try to access router configuration page from computer ? If you have a computer there, then connect it to your computer with the Ethernet cable. Then try to access http://192.168.2.1 I just don't understand why it is not working from your iPhone or tablet. It is supposed to bring the configuration page. The page is like this --> http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=132838
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no SSID on it. There is a serial number and a MAC address. We set a personal password ***** we set the router up. I was a very difficult set up and took almost an hour with tech support. If I unplug it will it change the settings?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
No it will not change settings.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry. Just lost you on the computer. I'll try to reconnect
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried to access the site and it didn't work. I leave for Hawaii in 3 hours and don't have anymore time to do this. I'll have to deal with it later
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
We may need to reset the router and setup it again. We can continue this later. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later or any time you want. Have a safe journey, Ashik