Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I own a very small hotel and we offer wifi. I am having problems

Customer Question

I own a very small hotel and we offer wifi. I am having problems with guests that have Iphones are unable to connect to the wifi. I have no problem from other guests with different phones. I myself have a Samsung galaxy and when I go to the same room, I am able to connect and the guest cant. Is there a reason only Iphones are unable to connect?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am the person that will be helping you today.May I ask if your network requires any type of password ***** pass through the captive portal? Basically, what is the process for connecting to your network? (Connect to signal, enter password, open browser, enter another password, etc.)I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Our guests, Choose network, enter password, open browser. Also here is some additional info. I have a modem with a wireless Netgear router and a Remote Access point on the outside of the building.Thank you for your help.
After they choose the network and enter the password ***** order to connect to the wireless signal, they are then connected to the Internet and are not required to do anything additionally to connect?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is correct.
As far as the iPhones go, when does the issue begin? In other words, how far along in the connection process do they get? 1) Are they able to see and connect to the wireless signal?2) After they connect, are they given any type of message or error message?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The guest I have right now says that they are able to see the wireless network and it appears that they are connected. It shows a blue check mark. However when going to the browser nothing happens. No message.
Can you ask them for their IP Address information?- On the iPhone, tap the Settings icon- Tap Wifi- Tap the network and choose Modify.What is listed for the IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I will. They left their room right now so it may be a little while before I have that information. Is this a typical problem for Iphones? I literally have no problem with any other type of phone.
I have setup scores of networks such as yours at many hotels. It is common for iPhones, iPads, and even Mac computers to have such types of problems due to how Apple/Mac facilitates network security.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it usually an easy fix and if I fix it for them will I have trouble with other types of cell phones then.
The fix depends on what the particular problem is. Have you been able to locate them and get that information that I requested?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not yet. Hopefully soon
Okay, thank you.