Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

How do I secure guess network

Customer Question

how do I secure guess network
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 7 months ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. What is the model of your Internet modem/router device?Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
wireless-G 2.4 GHz, Broadband Router 54Mbps
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Linksys
Thank you. There should be a model number, such as WRT54G. Can I connect remotely to your computer, so I can help securely your network directly through your computer for you? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
WRT54G V8
Thank you. Can I connect remotely to your computer, so I can help securely your router's network directly through your computer for you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please just walk me though
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
.......?
Sorry, it took me a few minutes to troubleshoot and to write all of this.OK, it can be complicated, so if you have any trouble, please let me know. Please try the written instructions below:- First, I recommend to connect the computer to the router with an Ethernet / network cable for now as you are going to make changes on the router.1. Click on the website below:http://192.168.1.12. When prompted, enter admin for username and enter password ***** password.3. Then click on the Wireless option.4. Then click on the Wireless Security option.5. There, you can set up security mode (use option pre-shared key or WPA/WPA2) if needed, then set password/key/passphrase you want.6. Save / apply settings.Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I entered "admin" for username and "password" for password, and the promp just returns emty again
Sorry, please try again, then enter admin for username and enter admin for password ***** Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that got me in
Great, please continue:3. Then click on the Wireless option.4. Then click on the Wireless Security option.5. There, you can set up security mode (use option pre-shared key or WPA/WPA2) if needed, then set password/key/passphrase you want.6. Save / apply settings.Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
under key 1 - I see the password ***** my main connection
is key 2 - for my "guess network" ?
No, don't touch those. Do you see Guest Access or guest option anywhere there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Are you sure it is your guest network? Or is it your neighbor's guest network?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
lets assume its mine
I checked your router model WRT54G, it does not have the guest feature / option; this router model is more than 10 years old ; Linksys did not create a guest feature for this model, so that is your neighbor's guest network. If there is a guest feature, then it would show on the router's page. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok? I guess that was money well spent........?
Basically, only newer router models have guest feature. I showed you how to access your Linksys router's page to check the wireless / network options there.- Since the issue is with your neighbor's modem / router, maybe you can ask him / her to secure it, if you want to?
Your router is already secured with a key, so you do not need to worry about anything.Is there anything else you need help with today? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Please click on the website below for the comparison of a newer Linksys router model:http://i.imgur.com/R09xts9.jpg; newer Linksys router models has the option called Guest Access; older models do not have that option.Summary: Your Linksys router does not have guest network. The guest network name you see is from your neighbor's router. Your router is secured. Only your neighbor's router is not secured.Have I answered all your questions? And/or do you need help with anything else?Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.