Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Windows 8.1, Toshiba Satellite Laptop, won't let me log-on

Customer Question

Windows 8.1, Toshiba Satellite Laptop, won't let me log-on says I'm "offline"
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: that's it, my wi-fi appears to be working on my phone and I'm using wifi for my iPAD to write to you. beats me.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Network Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: internet connection is ATT & router lights are all on, so it appears to be working.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 8 months ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Can you please check at the back / bottom of your Toshiba Satellite laptop for the model of it, such as c655-s5049?Does it let you connect the laptop to your Wi-Fi / wireless network name?If you test connecting an extra Ethernet / network cable from your Toshiba laptop to your internet modem / router device, does it work?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it's an S855D-S5120, & yes there is a port for an ethernet cable, however, I do not have one to test it with. So we're back to
square one & it's getting late, I need to go to bed.
Is there a network / wireless icon at the login screen that you can click on and check?If needed, can you borrow an Ethernet /network cable temporarily (or buy one for a few dollars)?Please get back to me tomorrow to continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i can click on the only one icon at bottom of my screen, which has an "x" on it, this I assume to be the network connection,
it then says "no connections are available".I'll try to find an ethernet cable tomorrow. good night. can you provide me with my username & password ***** sign back in tomorrow?
You would use the same username / password *****'ve used previously. Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?Can you disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for a couple of minutes, then re-connect, then wait a bit, and check?Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will try your suggestion, didn't do that before because my phone & ipad were not having problems.I never had a username/password ***** I was connected automatically by your tech assist. via a google search.
Sorry, the username is ***** ***** address, but usually, you do not need any username / password. Did you receive any email message from JustAnswer / Viet? If yes, you can click on the View Answer / Response in that email message in order to get back to me.- By the way, if you press the key F12, does it turn on / off the wireless? And/or if you press at the same time the two keys Fn and F12, does it turn on / off the wireless?Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
on the laptop, yes, the F12 key has a "wireless" symbol on it, however, pressing it with/without the Fn key does nothing.
Sorry, please try my previous suggestion with disconnecting / reconnecting the modem / router device(s), and if needed, try with the ethernet/network cable. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
received, i will try. talk tomorrow.
OK, good night, thank you.