Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers

I'm trying to hook up a wifi extender. the directions say to

Customer Question

i'm trying to hook up a wifi extender. the directions say to connect to NETGEAR_EXT. i did that and it says Connected but then i open Chrome and nothing works. no internet. i went back to original wifi and that works fine. what am i doing wrong?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Network Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: no thats it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Try different advice. I suspect esp. the SSID issue is what you have been badly advised about. Remember that, in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend. And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work. Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.) Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.