Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer

I have a brother mfc7340 printer I have been using years and

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a brother mfc7340 printer I have been using for several years and now want to hook it up to wireless? Seems possible but not sure how. thx
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Anything else I can tell the Network Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Sure... I have a mac mini in my back room which is connected to my printer. This computer is also connected to my moden/router via ethernet cable. I have an ipad in the other room that I use via the wifi and am hoping I can send files to print from this ipad.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Because this is an older model printer, it was made before ipads were around and before wifi printers were the norm. Your printer is a very basic model and is built for wired (direct to computer) connectivity only.

It would not support wifi connectivity, and it will not work from the ipad, at least not directly.

There are some options for installing 3rd party software, such as google cloud print or handy print on the computer, which then shares its printer connection to the ipad, via the use of a special app on the ipad too. This gives only limited functionality though, primarily for photos and saved documents. It still would not allow you to print directly from apps like email or safari on the ipad.

Given the age of the printer, which is well past its service life at this point, you may want to consider replacing it with a new network and airprint capable model. You could get a brand new printer with these new features in the low $100 range for a similar all in one laser.

Or keep your laser and get a color inkjet to do photos and support the ipad too.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: or

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead:

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125:

while a color model is about twice that:

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,