Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect

Byron, You helped sort out my pc sometime back many thanks.

Customer Question

Hi Byron, You helped sort out my pc sometime back many thanks. I'm having problems with my laptop now. I bought a disc to clean it up and finished up re installing windows XP from the same disc, unfortunately I lost all my drivers and so can't get onto the internet to download any new ones . Is all Lost or can you offer any help please. many thanks, John
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome John

It appears Byron is not online at the moment, would you like to wait for him to come online or work with me on this?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
work with you on this please
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thank you

Can you tell me please the make and model of the Laptop?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the laptop is an E System 3089 UK model probably manufactured by Hatachi I'm not sure
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Do you still have the disks that came with it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no point in doing a remote connection as it cannot connect with the internet as all the drivers are gone
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ignore it please as its a service the website offers

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there were no discs with the machine when purchased
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Sorry, I cannot find a safe copy of the drivers, I will have to opt out for another expert that may no where to locate them

Sorry I could not solve this for you

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

The Laptop EI SYSTEMS Model: 3089 has a set of drivers for components that are no longer manufactured or supported by any company (because of its age) which now days makes it close to impossible to find. But with a very affordable USB to Network Adapter there is a possibility that Windows Updates could find the most important drivers for it. Here is a link of the Adapter which according to the seller it is fully compatible with Windows XP and includes its on a disc.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Michael,
Thank you for your reply I have looked the adaptor up on Amazon and have a couple of questions
1. Presumably a cable from the router would plug in to the socket end.
2 Would this be a permanent fit to the Laptop or just a means of downloading drivers to the laptop.
3 I have a home wireless network, will it be possible to connect to it after the installation of the drivers via the adaptor. thanks for your help it looks as though this might be a solution to the problem. regards, John

This would plug into the laptop and then the ethernet cable would go to the router.

It could be either. I would connect it to try to download the drivers, and if that works, then you will be able to remove the dongle. If not, it may be that the adapter isn't working, and you would have to use this. But yes, if the downloading of the drivers solves the initial problem, you could then remove this one and go wireless.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the info I have ordered the dongle it should be here in a couple of days, I will let you know asap if it is successful, many thanks, John

Great! I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service when you can.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Michael I have received the dongle & connected it. It shows up on the taskbar as two screens together flashing if I left click on them the status is shown as connected and I can connect to I tried to find windows drivers on an update site and thought they had downloaded saved them to my documents but they won't open any ideas?