IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional

I have setup an Asus RP-AC68U as a media bridge with my Asus

Customer Question

I have setup an Asus RP-AC68U as a media bridge with my Asus RT-AC66U router. There are two new clients in my router's list, one at 2.4Ghz and one at 5Ghz. I have 3 devices connected to the RP-AC68U. All 3 devices show up under the 2.4ghz device. How do I get them to show up under the 5Ghz?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've got a ps4, xbox 360 connected with cat 5e cables and a TiVo premiere connected with cat 6
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Network Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Most wireless network routers work on 2.4 GHz frequency, but some of them work on dual frequencies - 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. That way, you can improve the connection quality since you get 2 different wireless networks - one that works on 2.4 GHz frequency and the other that works on 5 GHz frequency. Both your Asus network devices mentioned here support dual frequencies; however, in order to benefit from the 5 GHz connection, you need to have a device that supports 5 GHz connection. Most computers, phones and tablets only support 2.4 GHz connection since its built-in wireless network card works only at that frequency. To be able to connect to a 5 GHz wireless network and utilize the maximum speed, you need to use a 5 GHz wireless network adapter that works on 802.11 AC mode.

Devices such as PS 4, XBOX 360, TiVo support only 2.4 GHz frequency.

For your computer, you can purchase an external USB 802.11 AC wireless network card that works on both 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies.

For further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately that does not answer my question, as NONE of those devices are using wireless. They are connected using cat 5e and cat6 cables. This is set up as a media bridge, not as a repeater.
I'm looking at the router's client list, and it's shows 2 clients from the rp-ac68u, one using the 2.4Ghz and one using the 5Ghz. And then it also shows the number of devices using that bridge. All of them are using the 2.4Ghz and things are running very slow, IE streaming a show.
How do I get the clients to use the 5Ghz bridge ?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

The 2 clients you see is the Asus RP-AC68U itself - one for 2.4 GHz and the other for 5 GHz. In order for wired devices to be shown in the 5 GHz list, you need to set up the media bridge to connect to the 5 GHz network of your Asus RT-AC66U router. If you have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks enabled on Asus RP-AC68U, just disable the 2.4 GHz one. You may need to restart both devices for the changes to take effect.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know what each client is and that I wanted to get the wired drives to the 5ghz client. Your answer just reiterated my question, so I figured you don't know how to actually do that. Last night Asus support finally got back to me and helped me resolve this.
Thanks for your time.