IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Bought a AC1200 range extender about a year ago. Was not

Customer Question

Bought a AC1200 range extender about a year ago. Was not able to get it working, even with Linksys support. It has been just sitting on a shelf. I still need to extend my wifi coverage in my home. Moving the modem around seems like a bad solution.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Is it the AC1200 NetGear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the box says "LINKSYS AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Range Extender" On the upper flat surface of the unit is the label "RE6500"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no mention of NetGear on the box.

Can you tell me what have you already done and tried so far so i can take it from there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dealt with an online tech from Linksys about a year ago and, between me and the technician, we just could not get the range extender device working. I cannot remember the details other than it was just a completely frustrating experience. So I just unplugged the device and put it on the shelf.

Okay. Can you make sure that the antennas are connected, and the device is powered on (also ensure that the device is placed) near or next to your current router (which has the internet).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done. There is a white light flashing on the top, just under the RE6500 label.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White light is now steady.

Let me know when this light turns solid.

Okay. Now do you have a cell phone or another laptop that can connect wirlessly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get an iPad.

Okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ready.
White light is steady.

Okay. Now on your iPad go to Settings -> Wi-Fi and tell me if you see this linksys extender as one of the available networks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iPad is in hand.

Now on your iPad go to Settings -> Wi-Fi and tell me if you see this linksys extender as one of the available networks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it shows Linksys Extender Setup as available.

Tap on it, to connect to it. Once connected, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tapped and connected to Linksys Extender Setup.

Okay. Now, Open Safari and go to 192.168.1.1 - Let me know when done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done. The image shows my device.

Click Start on the setup screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done. Showed an "agreement". I tapped agree. Now asking me to choose a wireless network. I do not see my network.

What is the name of your network and did you scroll down to view all? If you can't see yours, make sure that it's the extender is placed next to your router.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The networks shown appear to be in order of signal strength. The strongest signal is from my HP printer right next to the computer. The second strongest signal is labelled Telus which is my service provider.

May i connect with you remotely on this computer to check up on your current router settings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My telus wireless network has the name "Lingey" which does not appear in the list. But the name Telus does appear.

May i connect with you remotely on this computer to check up on your current router settings?..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connect to my device.

Click the link below and run/open the downloaded program:
https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=782594

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I do this from my computer or the iPad?

From your computer.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. May I know if you still require assistance with this problem?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello IT Miro.
I thought that the previous Expert (Kamil Anwar) had concluded that the problem was with my Telus supplied wifi modem and that I needed to work with Telus. Then it seemed that my connection with K Anwar was terminated. Did he pass the issue on to you?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

All I can see is that the previous Expert (Kamil Anwar) is not available for assistance any more. May I know if Kamil remotely connected to your computer to check the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kamil was remotely connected to my computer. When he seemed to have signed off and was no longer communicating, I tapped the red "X" at the top off the screen. Kamil had told me that tapping the X would terminate the remote access to my computer. So I did and thought that the session was over. I am now occupied in other matters. I will be checking with Telus, my wifi modem supplier for solutions from them. If still unsuccessful, I will try the Linksys service again.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information!

Since it appears your Linksys range extender can detect other wireless networks, but not yours, I suggest changing the current wireless network settings for your wireless network, such as:

- name (also known as SSID)

- channel

- mode (B / G / N)

- encryption (password) type

Once you have done that, you can check if the Linksys range extender can then detect your wireless network.

In case you don't know how to change those settings, let me know, so that I can assist you.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.