Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).
93256567

Why can't I get gig speed on my wired network connection

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 8 months ago.

Hi Vince! My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you today.

"Gigabit" ethernet speed has a theoretical maxmium throughput of 125MB/s; however, the actual data throughput can be slowed considerably by any number of possible bottlenecks.

The most common limiting factor is your computer's internal hard drive. If you are not using a solid state drive in your PC, you most likely have a newer-generation SATA drive installed instead. These drives provide for a sustained data transfer rate of about 65MB/s, or about half of your theoretical maximum connection speed assuming the drive dedicates its entire bus to receiving download data.

Other possible bottlenecks include networking equipment (including cabling), as the network speed will only operate at the highest common denominator. If you have an older PC connecting somewhere in your network, your network speed will slow down to that device's maximum data transfer speed.

It's hard to provide a more specific answer to your question being unfamiliar with your equipment, but I hope that above helps provide some explanation! If you have any further questions, please let me know.

If you are pleased with the quality of service I’ve given you, would you take just a moment to rate me? By doing so, you’ll help other customers by letting them know about your experience working with me, and your positive feedback allows me to be paid for the work I’ve performed. I greatly appreciate it, and hope you will reach back out to me if I can be of any further assistance to you!

How do I rate an answer?
You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates me for my time with you. If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method. Please remember that I will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for my answer.