Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, PC Technician
Experience:  AAS degree, in Computer NETWORKING
63493917

Currently have a server running Windows small business

Customer Question

Currently have a server running Windows small business server 2003. Server is running DHCP. It is connected to a Dell network switch in unmanaged mode. This switch has failing ports. I have a new Blurex unmanaged switch I have purchased to replace it. However when I unhook the old switch and hook up the new one, the server can no longer connect to the DHCP and no clients connect over the network(I assume since they are not able to be assigned a network address). Need some help figuring this out.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Where is the DHCP server actually LIVING? you mentioned: "Server is running DHCP" and that would kind of make sense....but normally it is the ROUTER/Gateway that handles the DHCP server.....but each network is different.

.

So....i would imagine that this NEW switch, just needs to be configured properly as a dumb (unmanaged) switch, and just plug and play.

.

But can you give me the exact make and model of the NEW switch please.

i saw your other post, and we will have to work out of this request.....due to duplication issues.

.

So, its a long shot.....but is it possible that this switch was BAD from the factory?

From what i can tell, the Blurex switch has a 3 way selector switch on the front of the switch, kind of at the bottom of the lights that indicate port status.

I cant tell from the documents what the selectore switch options are.

Can you tell me? I think that may have something to do with this.

If nothign works....you may have a DEAD switch.