Pete, Networking Engineer
Experience:  CISCO Certified Networking Engineer
30970729

What is best way to set up QoS on an Edgerouter? Should I

Customer Question

What is best way to set up QoS on an Edgerouter? Should I use Smart Queue or Host Fairness Queuing option? Is there a better way?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi Paul,

Ideally you should use fairness queuing.

This will allow users to use the maximum available bandwidth unless resources are in high demand, when they will be fairly rationed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What are detailed instructions to set that up with my configuration? I'm using the latest EdgeOS firmware, 1.8. How does fairness queuing work and what settings should I implement based on the number of users and bandwidth? In the EdgeOS GUI, I have options for Smart Queue Management and Advanced Queue with several options.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, since no one seems to have an answer to this question, here is another. Using the Edgerouter running the 1.8 update, I would like to be able to limit each device, connected via hard line or wireless, to a maximum upload/download of 128Kbit up and 512Kbit down. I would like to be able to apply to all IP/MAC addresses or individually. Once this change is made, how do I revert, view or modify the configuration in case I want to change or remove the restriction.Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I added a new question in regard to limiting upload/download speed. If anyone can answer the original question in regard to QoS, I would appreciate it!