Martin, System Administrator
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

My download speed using my DirectTV or Roku is extremely

Customer Question

My download speed for movies using my DirectTV or Roku is extremely slow due to a weak wifi signal from my Xfinity router. I purchased a 3200 and hooked it up but I just can't get any performance out of it. The speed in just as bad or worst and it keeps disconnecting. I bought the 3200 because all my visual equipment is on the second floor and my Xfinity router is on the first floor of a 3200 sq. ft house
Category: Networking
Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.

Hello Pete, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your router.

The problem most probably isn't the router though, wireless signals can only do so much to travel within your house to get to its destination and some houses have a more difficult terrain to travel than others.

You can resolve the problem simply by making way for a cable to go from the floor the router is in to the floor where your TV is so it can connect to another router or access point. There should be an access point for each floor in your house so you get a better signal, there's no point in spending more money on a more powerful antenna which will work less efficient than placing another less powerful router in a more exposed position.

Does this make sense?

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cannot hardwire or even place router in a closer position. I have a few issues with this NetGear router. 1) is was suppose to be plugnplay (it's not) 2) the set-up website www.routerlogin.net is not a working site - however I was able to get to and establish the NetGear Genie 3) In the Genie there is a router settings page with a default login and pw. However all it does is show a spinning circle and a statement at the top "Netgear router not found or is not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router and no IPv6 is enabled. 4) the power light blinks red and white.All this said the router seems to work somewhat just not 100% correct. The process for downloading firmware is more then I am capable of. I am a novice and get by on most things but this has been very frustrating considering it again was suppose to be pugnplay!
Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.

Yes you usually have to set them up manually by logging into the interface via the IP address, the routerlogin.net link works if your DNS is working.

Can your ISP not wire another cable directly into the other floor so you can connect the other router?

It all comes down to proper placing, there are some high gain antennas that give you more reception but constant exposure to high gain antennas hasn't been proven not to be dangerous.

If you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you're happy with the service I'm providing so far feel free to click on one of the 5 stars above as it would be greatly appreciated!

Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.

Regards,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Respectfully ***** ***** have not answered any of my questions on if and or how I can get a working router. Especially:1) In the Genie there is a router settings page with a default login and pw. However all it does is show a spinning circle and a statement at the top "Netgear router not found or is not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router and no IPv6 is enabled".2) the power light blinks red and white.These two situation alone cannot be right?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry but at this point how do I get a refund?
Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.

Sorry I dismissed those since you followed those statements with All this said the router seems to work somewhat just not 100% correct.

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.

What's the full model of the Genie?

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.

Regarding your question about a refund, you may obtain it by calling billing on 1(###) ###-####/p>