Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I am trying to connect a roku 2 player. I have a Verizon DSL

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I am trying to connect a roku 2 player. I have a Verizon DSL wireless router. I can see the router on Roku and I have typed in the WPA key. The key is in all caps with spaces between each 4 characters. I have tried with the spaces and without. I also tried the wired connection because although the router is wireless, my computer is wired. I then get the green for connection but no local network connection. I get a message "confirm that your router access point is not restricting access. 013.50
JA: Networking issues can get really frustrating, but I know just the Network Technician to help you. Is there anything else important you think the Network Technician should know?
Customer: The router is not in the same room as the TV. I had this player connected before to an older wired modem and it worked fine. I have also reset the roku back to the factory settings, which I thought would help but it didn't. I even tried connecting the roku to the router but I guess that's no good if it's not connected to the TV.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Odd problem, could be quite a few things....your sure you have got the password ***** on the ROKU?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If the password ***** ***** WPA key, then yes because it's right on the back of the router.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

That would be it, unless it was changed when ever it was set up, did you install the router?

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

" I can see the router on Roku" What do you mean by that, are logging into the routers GUI and checking the to see if the Rokus IP is listed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
as far as I know it has not been changed. I tried going to the gateway to see if it shows on there but I don't see it there.
What I mean is on the TV, when I connected the Roku, it shows the available connections and I can see the SSID for my router but I could not access anything because at the top, it showed no connection. I have not used the Roku since I got the new wireless router. It was originally set up with an older wired router. Verizon replaced that one with the one I have now.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

aww, so many all we need to do is a factory restore on the roku and reconnect using same password.....though that same password ***** be working now. Do you have any other mobile devices, like a laptop or cell you can use to verify that WPA password ***** *****?

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

If we wanted to do a factory reset, it would be by pressing in this little button with a pen for about 5 seconds.

http://www.technipages.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Reset-button-in-the-Roku-2.png

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already did the factory reset. I have a cell phone but I'm not sure where to look for the WPA. Samsung Galaxy S3
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

gotcha.....WPA is just a type of authentication, not something you set on each device. I have a feeling your wifi password ***** that new router is not what you think it is. Did Verizon provide you with paper work?

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

If you Like I can remote in and at lest tell you if your router is set up in its default configuration, and if it is, i can log onto the router and change that wifi password.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

The problem is for sure the wifi password, there's no question. Also, a wifi password ***** never have spaces, ever.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Do you want me to try and take a stab at logging into that router and changing the password?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alright, I was able to get the green immediately when I connected using a wired connection but no local network connection. It states to confirm that your router access point is not restricting access. No, I do not want my password ***** How do I find out about the local network access?
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

You need to log onto your router and see if its blocking porrts, which doesn't seem likely.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

so with it plugged in directly, and you turn on roku, the TV says no connection?

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

So, yeah to confirm your router is not restricting access, you will need to log onto the router and go through the ports, since thats not something you want my help with, there is not a whole more I can tell you about regarding that. You will need to look up the local ip of your router go to start and type in "cmd" in the black window type "ipconfig" when you see the gateway ip listed, put that IP in a browser and try logging onto the router with default user credentials which are usually admin/admin, admin/password ***** admin/ no password.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I selected wired from the Roku screen. I'm thinking that worked because my computer is not wireless, so it's connected to the router via wired. The router itself is wireless, not my computer. I have not moved the Roku at all.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

your roku should not be connected to your PC....

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Roku direct connect to router is the way a direct connect works....

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not connected to my PC. I tried connecting the Roku directly to the router to see if the router would recognize it. I didn't see anything. Does it have to be connected to the TV at the same time, it's connected to the router because I can't do that.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

It needs to be connected to the TV to see if its working, obviously....I would think with a direct connect, it would be fine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Which one of these do I need?
Link-local IPv6 AddressIPv4 Address.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

your need your gateway.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh, I've been there several times today. What am I looking for?
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

I told you how to get that above. Here it is again.

1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
  2. When Command Prompt is open, type the following command: ipconfig. | ...
  3. You should see something like this: C:\Documents and Settings\administrator>ipconfig | findstr /i "Gateway" ...
  4. In this example, your default gateway (router) IP address is 192.168.1.1.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

your looking for an ip address called gateway

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

here is an example of mine from that command line propt.

ireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dc72:1b78:e051:1dec%4
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.8
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have all of that
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Great, just use that defualt gateway IP in a browser to connect to the router and see if there are routing problems.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm at the gateway but I don't know what you mean by connecting to the router.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

you have to open a browser window and put that gateway IP in and hit enter, that takes you to your routers config page, where you can log in and see if there is anything blocking your roku.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

I need to step away, and i believe this requires remote assistance in order to correct, since you do not want remote help, and I have to go, i'm going to opt out. If your still having problems later, I can jump back in.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for trying to help Tim and BTW, I was using the right password.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

No problem. Did you get it to work?