IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I bought a laptop at a pawn shop recently and it appears to

Customer Question

I bought a laptop at a pawn shop recently and it appears to already have a profile and I'm unable to unlock it so I can reset it back to factory defaults?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When starting computer it goes to login, but I don't know login information.
JA: Is there anything else the Network Technician should be aware of?
Customer: When I bought it, the guy said he got it from a business that was getting rid of laptops.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $31 after the Network Technician responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Harold Hanna replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is it a Windows screen that you see the password ***** at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blue screen with Windows7 Professional at the bottom

OK great. Have you tried entering a blank password? Also, what is the user name? Is there any other information or drag down screens on the login page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a login of 'other user', which then asks for user name and password. I do not have any of that information. Below that it says Log on to: ***** ***** 'how do I log on to another domain?'

OK does it mention a local user? What type of laptop is it? Make and model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it does not mention local user. It's a Dell LATITUDE E6230

OK what we will try to do is a system restore. As a company owned this laptop previously, there is no guarantee that the restore partition is still available, but we can still try. Restart your computer. As soon as it restarts, tap the F8 key every other second. Then, let me know if a boot prompt comes up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..says 'advanced boot options'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Repair your computer is highlighted

OK great. Now you should see system repair. Yes push enter on that.

You will be looking for Dell Factory Tools, and then Dell Factory Image Restore.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the same as 'repair your computer'?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Below that it says 'safe mode' etc..

You can try repair your computer but it may attempt to ask for a password. If it does try entering a blank password (just pushing enter)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It lists someone's name..pressed enter and doesn't accept a blank password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking to totally wipe it and reset to factory defaults?

OK press enter a few times and see if it gives you any other options. Yes that is our goal at this point.

Restart and push F8, and see if you are able to find the above mentioned Dell Factory Tools, then Image Restore. This will wipe the computer, if the recovery partition is still intact. Sometimes companies wipe them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressed enter a few times and appears to be re-booting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goes back to the ctrl+alt+delete screen

The Windows login screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you restart and tap F8? When you say it goes back, what happened in between it restarting, and it going to the login prompt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started at the F8 and it gave me options like 'safe mode' etc... I'm rebooting it again and pressing F8

Ahh OK, you want to start tapping F8 as soon as the computer turns on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep, I did and it goes to a black and white screen, first option that is highlighted is 'repair your computer'

What other options are there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command promote, enable boot logging
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last known good configuration, directory services restore mode, debugging mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disable auto restart on system failure, disable driver signature enforcement

OK understood. When you turn on your computer, do you see it mention boot options, with an associated F key? It is usually on the bottom of the screen. What I read said F8, but I will check for another one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F12
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rebooting now pressing F12

OK I see it also mention F11. Let me know what it says after F12.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Legacy boot: internal HDD or Onboard NIC

No repair options?

If not, restart and try F11.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other options : bios setup, device configuration , diagnostics, change boot mode options

Ah OK. Try diagnostics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ePSA pre boot system assessment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appears to be running a check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still running tests ..says WCMch test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the bottom is says 'press ESC to abort testing'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I just let it continue to run tests?

It doesn't hurt but that is not the area we are wanting. I am trying to find how to restore without the password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.... so frustrating, but I appreciate your help

Do you have another Windows 7 computer? Also, can you try to log in to the BIOS? I am hoping the BIOS isn't locked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other computer, how do I do the bios log on?

It may be F2. What computer are you using right now? What OS is it? The issue may be your previous boot options were NIC, and hard drive. If we were to attempt to repair, we would need to boot it from a CD/DVD, so we need to check your BIOS and see if we can set it to boot that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back to the bios setup..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on my iPad ... after hitting the bios setup (or whatever it said) there is an 'unlock' option

OK you are in the BIOS? Do you see anything about boot options there?

OK try the unlock and hopefully you will not get a password *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After pressing the unlock, it then says an administrative password ***** ***** on this computer...

OK let me look into how difficult that password ***** We are looking at two things. To start, it seems it will not allow you to use the restore without an administrator password. Second, we are unable to boot off a DVD because the BIOS is locked and not allowing it. We will have to overcome one of these situations. I will look more into it, but I am not sure if you can do what is needed with an iPad unless you have a burner for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can start up my old lap top?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it has Windows 7

OK do you know if that has a burner? What is the service tag on the computer we are working on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about a burner, it's an old laptop that had problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new laptop has a system number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
C6D9PX1-1D3B

It should have a Dell service tag number. It will be a sticker usually on the bottom of the computer. Sometimes you can also see it from within the BIOS.

OK try to unlock with the following passwords --

oqycuv0f
gsle93ud
Tp42jat1c901itHu

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Service tag C6D9PX1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of those passwords worked

I'm looking into if we can reset it with a standard CMOS reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Ya it doesn't seem like you are able to do it like that anymore. Unfortunately it used to be too simple to steal a laptop so the vendors made it harder to crack a BIOS password. I am going to opt out and this and see if any other technicians have any ideas which may work. It seems we are stuck on multiple levels but perhaps someone will have an idea. At this point the only thing I can see is installing the hard drive into another laptop, and then installing/cracking Windows on it from there, because the BIOS is locked down and we are unable to edit it. But maybe someone will have a simpler solution. Will open up to others now, good luck and if I think of anything else I will contact you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

I have reviewed the conversation history.

To solve the problem with the Windows user account problem, you can use a special bootable disc that is able to reset the current user account password, or you can use a Windows installation disc to re-install Windows, which will erase the current user account.

To do that, you need to insert a disc and boot from it by pressing the F11 key on the keyboard while the laptop is powering on. You should be able to do that without typing any password.

In case you have a Windows installation disc, please insert it and press the F11 key. Select "Internal CD/DVD drive" or similar name in the list of available options and press Enter. It should then load the disc and bring up the Windows Setup.

Let me know if it worked, so I can provide the further instructions for you.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.