Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

What is the best way to extend my wifi signal so that an

Customer Question

What is the best way to extend my wifi signal so that an outdoor security camera can use it? We have a dual band router serving cable internet service. The speed is actually quite fast and there aren't many slow spots on the first floor. The security camera, which is on the other side of the wall and 6 feet to the east, cannot detect the signal. I have tested the camera and it can connect when moved closer to the router. Thanks!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 11 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

What is the distance between the router and the security camera?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As the crow would fly (through the house), 40 feet. If I ran through the perimeter of the house, more like 150 ft

The straight line distance between the router and camera is 150ft? Is the camera attached to a building with electricity?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Straight line distance is 40 feet. (Like if I took a laser and pointed it from the router to the camera outside -- I think that's what you mean.) Yes, the camera has an AC adapter. It will be plugged into the same circuit as the router.

Thank you for the update. In such cases, it is difficult to give the proper advice and suggestion if I don't fully understand the environment and how far away everything is. Is the camera only wireless capable? May I ask for the brand and model name of the camera?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No Problem. The camera is an entry level device. It is ethernet capable, but the we do not have our house wired for ethernet except for where the cable internet comes into the house. That is (of course) where the router is. Not close to where the camera is watching the back yard. We need to set it up to use the wifi. The camera is a Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1080P WiFi Wireless IP Security Bullet Camera - IP66 Weatherproof, 1080P (1920TVL). Here is a link to their support page. https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/215490818#sec-3. I know there are wifi repeaters and other things, just looking for the best place to start. If it doesn't work, I will try something else.

Thank you very much for the update. In your case, you will be best off by using a wireless extender. The extender found at the following page will work for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122671

The power of your router is probably rated at 60mw to 80mW. The extender that I linked above operates at the power of 700mW.

I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not your problem is fixed.

I hope to hear back that all is working. If this is so, please do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page (choose the number of stars and click the Submit button). If it is not, please respond below.

I will be standing by,
Jason