Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Turned off computer and accessories. Moved them to a new

Customer Question

Turned off computer and accessories. Moved them to a new desk about 3 feet away. My Netgear N300 was working fine, but now I have no wireless for my TVs and Cell phone.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Computer --- router ---- Time Warner Cable Modem. Orange light on front of N300 stays orange and doesn't go blue like the simple install manual says it should.
JA: Is there anything else the Network Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Worked fine for 1.5 years. Had it turned off for maybe 20 minutes. Now no wireless.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Does the wireless work fine for the PC, or is that hard wired? Sounds like phone/TV lost their memory of router.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On my phone it just shows NETGEAR28 router as out of range. I did not bother trying the TVs because the orange light is still on the router, so they won't see it either. P.S. I am electronics engineer and used to fix software and hardware on computers. this has me stumped. Perhaps the Router's wireless is shot, or somehow I have to login in to it to turn it on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried the factory reset button and that didn't change anything.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Well, you do have to log in to turn it on, but if it was working before, it should be now. Maybe time for a factory reset.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

When you did that reset, did the lights change on the router, or stay the same?

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Have you tried logging into the web gui of the router?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I pushed factory reset button for 5 seconds and the orange light blinked as per instruction. I released the button and nothing changed.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Right, but after that you have to log into the router.....

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

are you hard weird into the router now? If you are I can remote in and configure the router for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I do that?
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

find the gate way and default user info, log in, set security on wireless etc.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

I can remote in and show you, it would be pretty time consuming to explain it here.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Other wise you would want to go to a command line cmd and type "ipconfig" find the gateway, put gateway IP in browser and try logging in with default User/Password ***** is usually admin/password, from there you would find the wireless settings and select a security type and password, that in a nut shell would enable wireless and should allow you to connect with your phone, tv, ETC.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

This also more or less explains it, but its kind of dumbed down. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR2200_IG_28SEPT2011.pdf

Good luck sir, I'll check back with you later.