Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect
23511658

I have a Netgear r6400 and I downloaded dd-wrt and i
,

Customer Question

I have a Netgear r6400 and I downloaded dd-wrt for it and i
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well I put the range so high that I have feeling it might of bricked the router. But the lights are really dim. And this router is only a repeater for my network.
JA: Networking issues can get really frustrating, but I know just the Network Technician to help you. Is there anything else the Network Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Uhhh I tried connecting to the Ethernet cord to the router and put in the ip address but the control panel does not pop. I've tried using Tfpt2.exe to download the firmware.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. I am an Expert in the Networking category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you.

Unfortunately, what you mention may be the case. If you put the TX level up too high, it can toast teh router. But before going to that conclusion, let's reset the router. You'll need to use the tiny reset button, which is recessed into the outer case of the router.

1. Turn the router on, and wait for it to boot up (about 1 minute).
  2. Locate the Restore Factory Settings or Reset button on your router.
  3. Use an object such as a pen or a paper clip to press and hold the Restore Factory Settings or Reset button until the Power light begins to blink (approximately 7 seconds).
  4. Release the "Restore Factory Settings" button and wait for the router to restart. The Power light will stop blinking and will become a solid

If that doesn't work, there are some other things we can try. That will at least get it back to default settings, though.