Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

Found koobface on my surface that has Norton Security on it

Customer Question

found koobface on my surface that has Norton Security on it already...what happened here?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That was certainly a scam. Please always ignore any popup message window or an email message or any phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

No antivirus / security program is perfect. This issue usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website or ad or email attachment.

Are you able to close the warning message? And/or are you able to shut down / restart the computer?

Is your computer working fine now?

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
restarted the computer and tried opening defender sincew the Microsoft site said it removes koobface...now running a full Norton scan...have not tried activating Internet Exploreer until scan done...doe syour product guard against thi worm?

When you go to any website, or accidentally go to any website, the antivirus / security program may not know about that website. There are millions of websites and there are new websites everyday.

Does that issue only occur when you open Internet Explorer program? Or does it occur when you turn on the computer and/or when you open any other program also?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
was noted in IE
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
full scan done and did not detect any risks

Open IE and check. If there is still issue, please let me know if you have Windows XP, Vista, or 7 or 8 or 10. Also, are you able to go to Control Panel? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
should Norton have not activated once the popup began? you still haven't answered my question about whether or not Norton protects against Koobface or removes it once detected
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
able to activate IE without a problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
on Windows 10

Sorry, no, Norton and other antivirus/security programs cannot detect this type of popups. You have to be careful when using the Internet. Make sure you do not click on any bad link or ad or email attachment. Do not download / install anything that you do not know. Do you need anything else for now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
shouldn't it detect it after it has downloaded?

No, this was not a download, but was just a popup website. There are a lot of bad websites / bad fake popups on the internet.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Since I resolved he problem on my own not sure this constitutes a successful session
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
think I am all set

You may get popup again, I can show you other fixes if you'd like to.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK

1. Close IE, then go to Control Panel, Network and Internet / Internet Options, then click on Advanced tab, then click on Reset, then click on Reset, then close.

2. Download and install the free version of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program at the website below, and scan your computer:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/thankyou/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this program endorsed by Symantec?

I don't think so as it's a different company, but that is a great program to use along with Norton. It's a very popular program. Thank you.

Also, just use the free feature of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program; don't buy anything.

- Basically, no antivirus / security program will ever be perfect, so be careful. There will always have new viruses / malware coming out, so be careful when using the Internet.

- In general, you should always ignore any popup message window, any email message, any phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting. If you get any popup, just close IE / internet, and/or restart the computer, and check. Never follow any instruction that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

Do you have any further question for now? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.