Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have a Windows based desktop and three laptops plus a

Customer Question

I have a Windows based desktop and three laptops plus a MacBook Pro. I have an HP 1200 laser jet printer. I am running an ATT Gateway wi-fi to access DSL connection. Is there any way or device I can put the printer on to be able to send print jobs to it wirelessly?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. I'm assuming the HP1200 is connected to

your desktop via USB. If that's the case you can share the printer from your desktop and that should make it discoverable on

your network. There are a few caveats. I don't know if the MacBook will be able to use it but I could be wrong since I'm not a Mac expert. In order for

your other computers to use it the desktop would need to be on all the time and not in any power saving state.

To share the printer, open Devices and Printers (Windows 10-may be slightly different on other versions of Windows).

Right-click on the HP1200 and select Printer Properties.

Click the Sharing tab at the top.

Put a checkmark in the Share this printer box.

A suggested share name will be automatically filled in but you can change that if you wish.

Click Apply and then OK and restart the computer.

On your Windows machines run a search for network printers and the HP should show up.

That's an old printer so there may be driver issues that come up.

Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

Hi Donald. Were you able to get the Windows machines to see the printer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Byron, my apologies. I got sidetracked and remain that way at the moment. I don't see my update to you so let me do it again. I am running a Dell Optiplex (old) on XP. The printer is connected, not by USB, but by serial port. Does that make any difference. When you reply to this question, lets close this session and let me come back to you when I have some time to breath. Thanks for the good start on solving this problem. don

Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

Hi Don. Thanks for getting back with me. A serial port is fine for sharing. As long as the printer is working fine on the desktop it

can be shared. In Windows XP the sharing instructions are slightly different. The page below will be very helpful:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457001.aspx

Please come back when you have the time. I can be reached directly through the link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-byron-/?rpt=3800#

and if you could take a moment before leaving to provide a rating using the stars at the top

of the page, then Submit,

it would be greatly appreciated.