Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I'm trying to forward a port through my Actiontec router to

Customer Question

I'm trying to forward a port through my Actiontec router to allow remote access with FileMaker Pro on port 5003. The host machine is running FMP on WinXp at fixed IP 192.168.1.12, verified ipconfig. The router shows 5003 correctly forwarded to that machine, both TCP and UPD. Windows Firewall has exceptions for 5003 TCP and UDP, and I've even tried it with firewall temporarily disabled. I can connect from another machine on the LAN behind the router, but nothing from outside. I can, however, ping the host machine and get a response but no connection on FMP. Also tried Remote Desktop Connection on another port - again works on the LAN but not from outside.
All this points me to the router, which says it's forwarding the port. I'm stumped.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 11 months ago.

I will be the person helping you today. When it comes to forwarding ports as such, it can be a little difficult because you have to make sure it is forwarded on all forwardable devices. May I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not at the location but am connected by gotomypc.
Verizon (maker of the router and DSL supplier) tried to remote in last night and were unable.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I could send you screen shots of the relevant info if that would help.

I will be able to solve this problem for you, if I am am able to remote in and fix it for you. I will be able to remote in. After you click the "Accept this offer" button for the remote service, the remote link will be posted here. That will be the last charge for today.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The remote charge is in addition to the $36 question answer charge, correct? I wouldn't mind, but I'll have to be at the machine for you to remote in, and I'm not there now.

That is correct. There is an extra fee for the remote session. If you are connected via GoTo MyPC, then a remote is possible. I will send you the information for the remote connection.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would prefer to be at the machine when you remote in, so I'll try again tomorrow.
Unless you have any suggestions I could implement now?

Thank you for the update. I will be here tomorrow. When you are ready to begin, please post a message on this page. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, thanks.

You are very welcome. I will be standing by.