Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

Cant get my printer to connect to my chromebook

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The rules of connecting a Chromebook to a printer are rather unusual.

Normally, you install a driver, for a printer, on a computer, and that makes the printer and its functions accessible to the computer. But in the case of a Chromebook, the computer is not designed to have a printer connected directly to it. Instead, you connect the printer to the 'Cloud' (an online internet-based entity) and then the Chromebook accesses and prints to the printer via the Cloud i.e. through the internet.

Getting a printer connected to the Cloud is somewhat limiting. Only certain types of printers will connect directly to the Cloud - it helps if the printer is network-ready. And in the case of your MX922 model... it may be Cloud-ready. The list says that the MX920 series is.

Here are the instructions for connecting a Canon Cloud-Ready printer to the Cloud:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1069693?hl=en