Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

My name is ***** ***** and I am very frustrated with my home

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I am very frustrated with my home wifi. I have AT&T U-verse (3Mbps service, the only option available in my area) and have their stock Motorola NVG510 modem. When I am on the web, streaming, whatever connected via USB (PC) everything is OK, not great but OK). When I try to use my laptop via wifi, everything is considerably slower. Was considering upgrading to a better router?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I am on the web, streaming, whatever connected via USB (PC) everything is OK, not great but OK). When I try to use my laptop via wifi, everything is considerably slower. Was considering upgrading to a better router?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Networking Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure....
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not connected with USB, meant to say Cat 5 cable
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my very best to help you. If you like i can offer a phone call or remote session to make things quicker and easier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work right now and not at home. Just trying to decide if it is worth my $$$ to invest in a router to hopefully increase wifi performance. I know that with a 3Mbps connection, I will never get blazing speeds, just want to get my wifi performance closer to my wired performance. Your thoughts?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

well, buying a new router will prob gain zero....

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Can i offer a 5.00 call which as cheap as i can do them, and i will explain this mess to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** thought.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

There are a few things that could be causing this, and its probably not specifically the router.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Try changing the channels on the wifi router to 11, its probably on 1. Things like wireless phones etc can cause interference.