Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

I upgraded my desktop, my laptop and my tablet to Windows 10

Customer Question

I upgraded my desktop, my laptop and my tablet to Windows 10 and they all had 8.1 prior to upgrade. Now only my tablet does not have wi fi and the device manager is showing my network adapters but not not wifi. All the adapters are WAN Miniport
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

This is far too common a problem as far as the network adapters go. Windows creates the Wan Miniports in an attempt to 'fix' the network when it cannot access the Internet. The first thing I would suggest is right clicking each wan miniport in the device manager and choosing to Uninstall it. After uninstalling all of the miniports, restart the computer and test your connection once more. If you still have problems, choose to uninstall the Wireless Adapter and reboot once more. After the reboot, you should be all set when it installs the adapter automatically.

I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not your problem is fixed.

I hope to hear back that all is working. If this is so, please do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page (choose the number of stars and click the Submit button). If it is not, please respond below.

I will be standing by,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seemed to work but after connecting to my internet, it keeps going on and off. When it was on, I tried to connect to internet and it says server not found.

Thank you for the update.

Let's check if the problem is with the IP configuration.

- Hold down the two following keys at the same time: Windows key and the letter R
- In the box that comes up, type: cmd
- Click the Ok button.
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ipconfig
- Press Enter
Question #1: What is shown for the IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway?
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ping 4.2.2.3
Question #2: What does it say, replies or request timed outs?
- In the black box, type the following and press Enter: ping red.com
Question #3: What does it say, replies or request timed outs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ping transmit failed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I put in ipconfig first, it said media disconnected for all of them

Thank you for the update. Please, give me the answers to all three of the questions that I posed earlier.

Okay, thank you. That means you are not, yet connected to the wifi. Please, reconnect to the wireless signal and repeat those instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't show any of what you are asking for

I am not understanding your last post. Please, reconnect to the wireless signal and repeat those instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it says wifi is turned off and says no connection is available and now it says it's connecting but just sitting there and not connecting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not connecting.

So as of right now, you cannot connect? Does it give you any sort of error?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it just sits there saying connecting

You have already uninstalled and reinstalled the Wireless adapter from the device manager, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked my network adapters and I have Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO Adapter. This was not there when I uninstalled the WAN miniports.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also now have WAN miniport (SSTP) but that is the only one.

Remove all items in the network adapter section and restart the computer. Once it is restarted, reconnect to the wireless signal and report back here. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While trying to uninstall the wireless adapter it is stuck on uninstalling devices with the green bar scrolling across the box and is not finishing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to task manager to stop it and tried again and it is still doing the same thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I stopped it again and went back in. It is asking if I should delete the driver software for this device. Should I click that box too before saying ok to uninstall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, are you still there?

Your adapter may not be supported under Windows 10 and/or there is some other fault that was created during the update. Yes, I am here. It takes a while for the message to appear here and then I have to type my message.

How long ago did you update to Windows 10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over the weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think my battery just died on my tablet and I plugged it in but needs more charge. I'm frustrated.

It sounds like the update may have caused some problems on the tablet. Are you willing to simply remove the Windows 10 update and go back to the working version of Windows on the problem tablet? You can remove Windows 10 and go back to the previous version of Windows by following the instructions that I typed for you below:

- Click the Start Menu and click "Settings"
- Click “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”
- Choose “Go back to Windows 7? or “Go back to Windows 8.1? option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install.
- After that is complete, the computer will reboot and Windows 10 will be gone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can't fix the problem so I can use Windows 10? I don't want the 8.1 to become obsolete.

I foresee many new versions of Windows to be released before Windows 8.1 will become obsolete. Windows XP was still being supported and updated less than two years ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I go to start, there is no "Settings" to start the process
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, please answer

That is odd. What do you see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just found it. Sorry. It is doing it's thing so I'm waiting for it to finish and reboot. I would like to stay with you until I see if everything is ok.

Thank you. I will be here awaiting your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is done and I am back on the internet. I just have to say that it's very sad that I have to pay $24 for information that I really did not get. I am right back where I started.

If you wish, I can send up a refund request for you. That will mean that I am not given credit for any of my time today.
- Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While I understand what you are saying about not getting paid for you time with me, can you understand my predicament that I am back where I started and not on Windows 10 or connected to the internet with it, which is my original problem?

Your original problem is that you installed Windows 10 and your wireless didn't work. Now your wireless works, but you are using Windows 8. I am not here to debate, however.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my wireless worked before the upgrade and I wanted to fix the problem using windows 10. Let's split the difference and only charge me $12. Does that work for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for your answer so I can eat dinner. Been working all day.

I am not part of billing. I have no control over the charge. It's either all or nothing. If they charge you $12, that means I am given a total of $6 for my time. If wish, I can send up the refund request for all of the charge or none. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of it to be refunded then. Sorry but problem was not fixed.

Thank you for the update. I have no control over the failed updates that Microsoft puts out there. I must leave now to continue working here at my job. Thank you.