Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Further to my initial question this is the current

Customer Question

For TimCoons Only: Further to my initial question this is the current situation.
1) I have a Router connected to Fibre Broadband and based in my home office. This also provides the home broadband.
2) I use a Netgear WN2000RPTv2 Extender to provide the coverage in the house. The extender is based about 20 mts away from the Router, as the crow flies.
3) The Extender has a desktop PC cabled into. This computer does not have a wifi card installed anymore. Other than this computer all other devices link wirelessly to the extender. This includes Ipads, iPhones, Samsung tablet, Kindle Fire's Android phones and HP laptop.
4) The Router is called BTHub3-KZK7.
5) The Extender is called BTHub3-KZK7_EXT.
6) Both the Router and the Extender use the same password/key.Until about Christmas 2015 this set up worked perfectly OK. Then the extender stopped connecting to anything initially then I managed to stabilise the set-up whereby all devices could connect to the Extender using its correct name and password. But the computer would only connect by identifying the Extender using the Router name ie: BTHub3-KZK7. Which is where we finished our workings as it appeared to be stable and working fine apart from the fact that the PC still referred to the Extender with the wrong name.Then 2 days ago the problem started again. only this time I have been unable to stabilise it or get the Extender to connect with anything neither the PC it is cabled to nor any device. When I try to connect either a device or the PC I get the 'www.mywifiext.com' message box prompting me to input a username and password.
1) The first problem I have here is the fact that it states 'the information will be sent using a connection that isn't secure'?
2) If you remember from before I was struggling to identify exactly what username/passwords I should actually use?If I cancel this box then I get the '401 unauthorized' msg appears followed by the 'cgi-bin/check_hijack.html from this server'......msg.Last time, if I unplugged the PC then it was possible to connect all other devices wirelessly which pointed to the PC being the problem. However this time even doing that I cannot connect anything to the Extender.I really appreciate any help you can offer. In the meantime i was wondering if it is worth ordering a new extender, perhaps a different one? Could you perhaps recommend one i can try? Please note however that i cannot use the type you plug into the electrical circuit as the Office and house are on two different electrical circuits.Thanks so much for all help you can provide!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my very best to help you. If you like i can offer a phone call or remote session to make things quicker and easier.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Can we set up a skype call later?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We can do. What time were you thinking?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The only thing that bothers me with SKYPE is that I will use it on my business computer which is so far away from where the extender is as to be almost impossible. How reliable is SKYPE on Android phones?
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Um, its fairly reliable. we would just be using VOIP to avoid long distance calls.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A a consequence of writing a new question for you I have had to pay again. So I have already paid the best part of £40 with no solution currently in sight so you can probably understand my reluctance to pay more money. Have you any idea at all what can be causing this problem?
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

So the password ***** again is related to the admin for the extender or the router. You need those credentials

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Since the desktop dropped again, its possible its an IPconflict Or there is not enough IP addresses allotted. You can view all of this in the router.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

you dont need to accept a call, I am not trying to nickle and dime you. I spent ALOT of time last time working on this, we thought we had it fixed and there was some confusion.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Its hard to trouble shoot this stuff all around, and even harder when i am not on site, do not have remote access etc.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Since it sounds like you are unhappy that this is a new question (i told you in the last one it would be), I can opt out and have another expert help you if you like.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Anywho, i'd guess an IP issue, that would make sense with the drops.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Will need the admin user and password ***** both router and extender to check. You may want to assign a static IP to that PC.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Let me know man, that's some ideas above.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Morning. I didn't mean that I wanted someone else, I was just surprised that I would be charged extra for a phone call. Anyway you think it is an address issue & have suggested that we assign a static IP address to the PC. That sounds a good place to start so when you are up and about ( taking into acct time diff) can you drop me a message on how to do this and also to let me know you are online. Thanks & speak later.
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

You need to log into the Router, that has the assigned IPs

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

im signing off now, but at a high level you should be able to assign the PC a preferment IP from a MAC address that will be in that routing table, it might help.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

If you want we an do a remote session so i can look at that table tomorrow, or what ever you want to do.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

And again, i was not trying to over charge you. Was wanting to get it perm fixed, That's all. I will be around pretty much all day tommrow after 1pm my time until about now. It's 1:30 am here. That's pretty much my work hours mixed in with some video gaming and shooting in the back yard.

ttyl.

Tim

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hiya. Let me know when you are up and about.
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

just started moving

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Let me know if you still need help sir.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Afternoon...well here anyway. Yes I do still need help please. I have been knocked back with the flu so have a had a couple of early nights which means I have missed you. It is nearly 2pm here so am I right in thinking about 7am at your end?
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

It's 11:48 AM - I too have the flu.