Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I'm trying to connect the D7000 modem router to my DSL. The

Customer Question

I'm trying to connect the D7000 modem router to my DSL. The instructions tell me to leave the DSL connected to the phone jack; then add the filter for the phone; then use a phone line to connect the grey phone port on the modem router to the filter. Question: Am I supposed to have 2 phone jacks side by side? I have one phone jack. The filter is plugged in to it. The phone and the DSL modem are plugged into the filter. There isn't anywhere to plug in the D7000 modem router.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

Hi. Christy. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Can you tell me the brand and model number of your DSL modem?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's from Verizon and it's the Actiontec GT784WNV
Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. Give me a few minutes to check it out please.

Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

Ok. That's a wireless DSL router combo unit. Are you adding the Netgear as an access point?

Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

or are you wanting to replace the Actiontec with the Netgear?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not quite sure. Maybe if I explain it...The internet connectivity inside my condo is spotty. Every couple of seconds it goes from wireless on to looking for networks. The Verizon finally came to my house, checked all the wires and tried to solve the problem, but couldn't. He was here for 3 1/2 hours. So I thought that if I got a really good modem/router, the connectivity issue would clear up. So whatever is the best way to use do this is good with me!
Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

OK. The D700 is dual use so just plug a network cable into one of the ports on the Actiontec and plug the other end into the Internet port on the Netgear. Plug your Windows 8 PC into one of the LAN ports of the Netgear. Turn on the Netgear, wait about 60 seconds and start the PC then run the setup CD that came with the Netgear.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OMG! The internet light just came on white! I disconnected the DSL modem and plugged the phone into the net gear modem and the filter at the jack. I did this last night, too, and it didn't light up! I even left it for an hour and it still didn't light up white. I'm going to try it out on my other computer to make sure it's really working.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The light came on while I was waiting, but I forgot to click send :)
Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

OK. Is it working?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got on the internet!!!
Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

Enjoy! Is there anything else you need?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, nothing else. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Have a great evening.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You, too.
Expert:  Byron replied 10 months ago.

If you liked the service please take a moment to rate it using the stars at the top of the page.