hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Techician since 2007
40928634

I have a network printer (Brother MFC 7440N) in my home that

Customer Question

I have a network printer (Brother MFC 7440N) in my home that is connected to a Comcast Router. I have an assigned fixed IP address provided to me by Comcast. I have forwarded my printer's local IP to port 631 on the router. I had thought that I would be able to print from work (remotely) by creating a printer at work in the form of XX.XX.XX.XX:631 where xx.xx.xx.xx is my home static IP address.
In Windows 7 (at work) I have installed a printer device with that IP address. However, when I "print" to it nothing is printed at home (MAC based network).
I seem to remember doing this a while back and it worked. Am I missing something?
Category: Networking
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 11 months ago.

Hello, when at home if you ping the IP address of your printer do you get a reply please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes

64 bytes from 10.0.0.100: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0.623 ms

Thank you so in your router, you've set up a port forward to 10.0.0.100 port 631 and the printer is set up with static IP of 10.0.0.100?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The printer has a static IP on my home network. It is 10.0.0.100.

When I log into my router, I have forwarded 10.0.0.100 to Port 631 because I was told this is the Universal Printer port that is the standard one to use.

I have had experience forwarding to ports. I forward my camera to port 80 so that I can use http to see my camera from outside my network.

Thank you. Sorry for the delay but I am in South Africa and have just awoken

​Please go to this site and enter your fixed IP address and port 631 & see if it's open?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No worries about the time. I know this is going to take some time to fix. I went to the Port Tester web site. Here is what I got:

73.26.155.19: 631 is open (That is my fixed external IP)

10.0.0.100: 631 is closed. (That is inside my network).

Thank you the second one failed because of NAT in the router. The router should detect an external signal on port 631 and forward it to 10.0.0.100

​You can ping the printer so it's online properly.

Please try temporarily putting the printer in the router DMZ to see if this now works. Any signal that arrives at the router will be sent to the DMZ.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my very best to help you. Even after you have rated me, i will still support this ticket for FREE should there be more questions.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry, posted to wrong question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I don't know to whom I am responding. Please send me a message so I can clarify that I am talking to HongKongPom

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 10 months ago.

Hello there yes I am still here. How did it go with the DMZ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I placed the IP in the DMZ. However, the ping still did not work. Am I using the right port? It doesn't make sense that it should be 80. I am wondering if I have the print destination right on my work computer?

When I installed the printer at work under Windows 7, I chose TCP/IP and gave it the address of my home network but I appended :631. I will try it tomorrow without the port number.

I think I am missing something. Also I have been delayed because my ISP went down for maintenance. It is now back up.

Hello there. In the router DMZ you only need to put the Printer's IP address. You don't need to specify the port.

​That's what DMZ is. Any signal arriving to any port will be forwarded to the DMZ automatically. Pinging is probably blocked through the router from the outside.

Yes, using TCP/IP is correct.

The printer is listening on port 631

At work use your fixed IP address and port 631.

The router will receive this signal and pass it to the printer.

Does printing work now please?