Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Nathan I'm looking to setup a VPN from my office to my

Customer Question

Nathan I'm looking to setup a VPN from my office to my house. I would like to setup a more secure connection to connect to my office. I'm currently connecting to my security camera system right. I would like to have a VPN as the first authentication and then connect to my security system and other devices. What would you recommend software/hardware wise?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Hello again, John.

What do you have currently at home and at the office?
Ideally you'd have a VPN router on both ends to create a "tunnel" between them.

That would give you a layer of encryption for viewing your security system.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have a bunch of desktops / servers I'd like to access from either location. Can you recommend hardware?

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Yes I can, but I'm asking first what you already have, you may only need something on one end or the other, or may have to start fresh.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I only have the verizon fios router.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Same thing on both ends (just a fios modem/router)?

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

If so, my recommendation would be to use the verizon device in modem only mode (you disable dhcp/router function on it), then behind that you'll put a vpn router on both ends: http://amzn.to/1mNT2xt and set up a vpn tunnel on each. It would help considerably if you had a static ip address on at least one of them, which you probably have by default at the office anyway.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I would like something more higher end from the Cisco family.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I can certainly recommend something else - but being a cisco product does not automatically make it higher end. Don't judge the tp link by the price, it is every bit as good if not superior to any of the cisco small business products. This is something from cisco that would be comparable: http://amzn.to/1RuC0lz, but the first one I sent I'd still consider to be better.

Now if you're thinking of something else, like a rack mount system, that is a different grade of product. I didn't recommend anything at that level because I assumed you would not have the skill set to configure and maintain it. Is that would you'd prefer?