Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect
23511658

I have the same problem as described in the question shown.

Customer Question

Customer: Yes, I have the same problem as described in the question shown. My wireless network connection to my HP 1055cm designjet no longer works. I think the IP address or drivers have been corrupted. This is the 2nd time this has happened and I want to use my crossover cable to print to my plotter. I am using windows 7, 64bit machine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I send a PDF drawing file to the plotter, I get an error message and it does not print.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Networking Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, that will be fine. Thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,Thank you for your help. I was out yesterday. My HP laptop (windows 7) was connected to the plotter (HP 1055cm) wirelessly. I had Geeks on Site connect it up after it went offline in 2013. They saved the drivers in a folder and I have kept them in the same place. For some reason it has gone offline again. Last time we reset the IP address and reloaded the drivers to get things working. I would guess this is a similar situation. I did not do anything unusual. I do not use the plotter on a weekly basis. Can you help me go through the steps to reset the IP address or whatever I need to do to get the plotte back online.
Thanks,
Sue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,
How does this process work? Is it all through email whenever people get a chance to do it with much time between messages or do we talk on the phone to resolve the problem. If so, you can call me at (541) 8**-****.
Thanks,
Sue

Can you please provide a link to the original question to which you refer? That will help me to understand where you are in the course of troubleshooting.

Based on your question - you want to use a crossover cable to print to the printer - it's not the best option usually - it's a little cumbersome to set up. But if you don't have another option, then you can do it - just make sure that the IP address on the printer starts with the same three out of four octets as your PC. For example.

PC: 192.168.1.20

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Then you would want to assign an ip address to the printer that starts with the same numbers, but ends with a different one.

Printer: 192.168.1.200

Then you can just add it as an IP printer.

Here is a blog post I wrote on how to do that:

http://www.brainchamber.com/2011/12/17/adding-a-tcpip-printer-in-windows-7/