Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Network consultant for over 20 years.
25267123

I have a Time Capsule that serves as my LAN router. We were

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Time Capsule that serves as my LAN router. We were away for Christmas, and when we returned, the yellow light was blinking and we have no network service in our house. How do I re-boot, or what else should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I don't know what else to tell you. We have had wireless network service for our laptops through this device for years. Now we don't have it. When the Time Capsule is working properly, we have a green light on the front. When it isn't working, we get a blinking yellow light.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm willing to wait, but I would pay only if it fixes the problem. Is this okay?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 11 months ago.

Just unplug it from power for a few minutes then plug it back in. Do the same for any modem you might have. Let me know if it turns green after.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have unplugged it a couple times previously, but didn't leave it unplugged for very long. How long should I leave it unplugged?

Who is your internet provider?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Comcast
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just plugged it in again. Still yellow.

If you plug a computer directly in to your modem do you get internet service?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the interruption, I had to meet a serviceman at the door.I will try connecting the modem to the computer. Stand by.

OK

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I disconnected the modem cable from the Time Capsule and connected it to the computer, but nothing happened. I have very limited computer knowledge, so I'm not sure if I did it correctly. I had to reconnect to the time capsule to be able to send you further emails (the previous one and this one) via the Xfinity network.

If you could not browse the web with the cable modem plugged directly in to your computer I suggest you call Comcast and have them test your service. There may be nothing wrong with the Time Capsule. Let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you there? Did you receive my reply above?

Yes did you see mine? If you could not browse the web with the cable modem plugged directly in to your computer I suggest you call Comcast and have them test your service. There may be nothing wrong with the Time Capsule.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The last reply I received before this one was "OK" in response to my email explaining my delay to meet the serviceman.Contacting Comcast and having them test our service will take some time. Will I be able to reach you later? Will I be charged for what has transpird so far?

We have to find out if your service is working before we start diagnosing the Time Capsule. If my suggestion turns out to be correct and you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I will contact Comcast, and get back to you after I get an answer from them.

Great thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The automated telephone response from Comcast states that Comcast is experiencing technical difficulties in our area. I don't know if this is the cause of our problem or not since we are not having a problem with our cable TV, and we have bundled service (Internet, Cable and TV). Is it possible that Internet could be out while Cable is fine? I'd like to wait a while today to see if our service is restored. I will contact you later today.

Yes one can be out while the other still works I figured as much.. Let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One curious thing, though. I'm connected to the Internet via an Xfinity area network. Does it make sense that it would be working while the service to our home is not?

Yes those are completely different connections.