Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I changed settings wireless extender (WPS) and now need a

Customer Question

I changed settings for a wireless extender (WPS) and now need a password ***** don't have? How can I get back to my wireless network?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Hey, so you used the push WPS method right?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Correct. Now I can't undo it and have no password
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Right, so to clarify, you had set it up with WPS and then made a change via the webbroser and then it punted you off right?

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

I can walk you through the process here or i can offer you a 10.00 call if you would like me to walk you through it on the phone.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I was totally open wireless and then pushed WPS to get the net gear extender connected to my xbox
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

oh, so the WPS failed then?

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

well, the easiest solution here is to set the extender back to defualts, there should be a pen sized hole on the back. With the extender plugged in, take a pen and push tiny button in for about 15 seconds, then release it, the extender will then be back at factory defaults. After that you can use WPS to connect again, but then you should go into the settings on the extender and change the default password.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

does that make sense? The problem is that you used WPS, and it then set a default wireless password ***** was not changed or written down...