Josh, Helpdesk
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

Just received an Echo. I am trying to set it up using my

Customer Question

just received an Echo for Christmas. I am trying to set it up using my laptop (running Vista Business) and Chrome browser. Set up starts, echo gets the orange light but never finds the Wifi. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Before you begin, make sure you plug your Amazon Echo into a power outlet, and then open the Alexa app on your phone, tablet, or desktop computer.

Amazon Echo connects to dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4Ghz / 5Ghz) networks that use the 802.11 a/b/g/n standard. It does not support enterprise or ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) networks, or public networks that require a web browser for authentication (such as a hotel or coffee shop).

1. From the Alexa app, open the left navigation panel, and then select Settings > [NAME]'s Echo >Update Wi-Fi. If you're setting up Amazon Echo for the first time, or you're adding a new Amazon Echo to your account, select Set up a new Echo.

Note: You can change your current Wi-Fi network at any time in the Alexa app.

2. On your Amazon Echo, press and hold the Action button for five seconds. The light ring changes to orange, and your mobile device connects to Amazon Echo. A list of available Wi-Fi networks appear in the app.
  3. Select your Wi-Fi network, enter the network password (if required), and then select Connect. If you don't see your Wi-Fi network, scroll down and select Add a Network or Rescan.

Tip: If your network is hidden, you can add it manually in the Alexa app to connect to it.

After Amazon Echo connects to your Wi-Fi network, a confirmation message appears in the app. To use your Amazon Echo, return to the home screen in the app.