Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I am having issues with a belkin wifi extender: the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I am having issues with a belkin wifi extender: the connection is stable with internet access on a Windows 10 device but drops constantly on a macbook air. Any idea on what is going on? Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, the extender is brand new and when I use the network assistant on the macbook air it reconnects for a second, loads a website and drops instantly.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Networking Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure if the problem is solved it will be worth your fee
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will do my best to assist you. Couple of questions. Does the Macbook work just fine when connected to the main wifi, or other wifi networks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim, no problem with connecting the air to the main or other wifi networks, it seems to just have a hard time connecting through the extender
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you give me the model numbers of both the belkin and the extender?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main modem is a ZTE Home Gateway ZXV10 H108L Annex A(PSTN) and the extender is a Belkin Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender F9K1106v1. I've also noticed than my iPhone connects to the network created by the extender (as opposed to the air) and remains connected (the wifi icon in the status bar is always full and up there) but the internet drops every minute or so (i.e. I've tried to FaceTime and it's really not smooth)
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Ok, in my experience WIFI Extenders are touchy if they are not the same brand as the Mode. I've seen this a few times where for what ever reason some devices do not play well with odd paired extender and router. Your router is a pretty obscure one, especially in the US. Belkin and Netgear seem to be the most choosy of the device brands regarding paring well. I'm not telling you to get another router or extender, but if they were made to work with each other, that would rule a few things out. One thing we can do is

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

One thing we can do is, either have you look into the config page of the extender and post back here, or I can remote in and see if anything jumps out. As far as a possible configuration problem, a machine jumping on and dropping could be it getting an IP then being kicked by something else that wants that IP, the logs should have this info.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like one of those tricky problems that will take some investigation, i can only do so much with out looking at it. So i think the best solutions are A, consider getting a Belkin Router to at least test with, i know that doesn't make a ton of sense, B let me or someone else take a look via remote session at the config, and go from there. May need to review the Macbook, but i really doubt there is anything going on with it. I hope this makes sense.