Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems and Network Engineer
75378780

I have a security camera system setup and my office. I'm

Customer Question

I have a security camera system setup and my office. I'm currently logining in through my browser providing the ip address and port. I would like another layer of authentication before I connect to the NVR. I need something that will work with the MAX, PC, Iphone & Android phones. Maybe a Cisco switch?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, i'm Tim and will be helping you. A Cisco switch would do it along with many other options. You would definitely not want a corporate type Cisco device as those are crazy expensive and you can accomplish the same thing using a home/office router that supports VPN, in fact your current router could support VPN, but thats unlikely. So with that said VPN is in my opinion your best option, there are others but they are not nearly as good. I did a quick search on amazon for routers with VPN ability and there are many that are affordable, the medium price looks to be about 110.00. If you do not know how a VPN works i'll give you a quick run down.

Using any device (you will need software for each device, IE for a smart phone you will need the app for it) You will connect to the VPN in Windows, or on a phone using an app, then once that is connected depending on how you have the VPN set up (full or split tunnel - Split tunnel connects you to the other network AND while you stay on your own network and have access to your ISP's internet OR full tunnel which makes you APART of the network you are connecting you to just as if you were there locally) Then once connected to VPN you would simply use a browser and connect as you normally would to the IP, with out the VPN connected you would not be able to connect in.

That's it in a nutshell, let me know if i can assist more.

Regards,

Tim

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

I see you have checked back in, does the above make sense?