Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

Man I'm lost on trying to set up this Epson WF 615 to my

Customer Question

Hey, man I'm lost on trying to set up this Epson WF 615 to my Mac. I've downloaded all the drivers and software but I get this error....cannot find printer?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

What exactly does the printer display as on the Mac?

And have you connected it to your wifi network yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've been trying to do both...either connect to wirelessly or wired and cannot make it happen. I get....cannot find printer..error message
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

When you say wired, you mean you connected the printer to the Mac via the USB cable correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Thanks

Can you remove the power to the printer, so disconnect it from the power socket, and unplug the USB cable.

Then wait 10 minutes.

connect the power and run the installation again, and wait for it to tell you to connect the USB cable. When it does, connect it and tell me if it is then detected please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you walk me through the install process . I don't have a manual....I bought this from a Goodwill...but its in excellent condition. lol
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My printer error says....."looking for printer". Like it can't find it. How do I add it?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

No problem.

Then do my instructions but do the installation via wireless following this video as its easiest.

https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?UseCookie=yes&noteoid=142025&type=highlights

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why does the printer name on my Mac come up as....EPSONDF4B11 ?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

because thats its default machine name

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah, I've seen that video before...last night in fact. I walked through it but I have questions as it didn't work. My main question is.....why does, under "system preferences" on my Mac....does the printer come up as EPSONDF4B11 I don't see those num,bers or letters anywhere on the printer. I thought it was a "Workforce 615.?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, I responded to this question before but you may have missed my answer. I have repeated it below

because thats its default machine name. Likely someone who used it before you set it as this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh, its default machine name. Alright. It seems as though the computer cant find the printer for some reason even though it says its all connected ....Is there a way I can see if the connections are right or do you know how I can troubleshoot the "conection" part of this?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, I want you to follow the video please, and tell me after entering in the network password ***** connecting to the wifi network, what exactly happens.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh.....I just found it. My USB cable wasnt plugged in all the way. Dang.....Oh well, thanks for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok! thats why the initial instructions was to disconnect everything and then reconnect, but we got sidetracked when you requested the walkthrough.

But you have that now, and good it is all working.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you