Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I'm trying to help my sister. Her husband has locked her out

Customer Question

I'm trying to help my sister. Her husband has locked her out of all passwords to the computers in her home. We think he is involved in something illegal and illicit and would like to find out if that includes child pornography. He takes his laptop everywhere. How can we track what he is doing online?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Do you have access to the wifi router at the sisters house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not right now but he has that password ***** too and refuses to give her the password.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, the only chance would be to gain access to the router (you can reset it but depending on the make and model of it he may see this) then router the DNS entries to a service such as open DNS

https://www.opendns.com/

Then you can see which sites he is visiting.

You cannot see this online anywhere unless you have something like this in place.

Whats the make and model of the router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we physically remove the router from the home, could we take it to a computer expert and get the information off it from there?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If logging has been enabled then yes, IF he has not set the password.

If he has then no as you need to reset the router and that would wipe all the data from it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what the make and model of the router is. I have to go to my sister's house when he is at work. If we did put something like this in place, could we see past site he has visited or just current ones?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

no, only current sites, you would not be able to get past information if it was not recorded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can we get past information??
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you cannot as it was never recorded unless you have physical access to his computer, then you can check the history but you indicated you do not correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do not have access to his laptop and even if he left it home one day, he has it password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, thats why I indicated its not possible to get historical information, only current information once you alter the wifi router.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go to her house and see if we can get the alter the wifi router but he will know we did something if his password ***** working.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

depends on the make and model of the router.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like some routers have default passwords. Are those always on the models that have them or can they be wiped away too?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

they can be changed if the person knows what they are doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This guy is pretty tech savvy but we'll do what we can to figure it out. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please remember to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit.

Thank you