IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My new Windstream modem is working fine on my husband's

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and my new Windstream modem is working fine on my husband's computer but continually dropping the signal on mine. Windstream suggested a new ethernet cable and I bought one and installed it and it didn't help a bit. It was working great before the upgrade from the Siemens 4200 to the Sagecom 4320.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Continually drops off the internet - tells me I have no internet connection - that the network has changed. The little network icon in the bottom right of my Win8.1 screen shows the yellow exclamation point half the time it is offline and the red X the other half of the time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Networking Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Only satisfied must mean that it solves the problem, ok?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

Please tell me if your computer is a Windows or a Mac computer. Also, are you able to connect to the modem (Internet) by wireless connection?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer is a Windows. I use Chrome browser. I can connect my laptop to the internet by wireless, but this is my desktop and it does not have wireless.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information!

Since you are experiencing network issues, I suggest re-installing the network drivers. That should solve the problem. To do that, follow these instructions:

1. Move the mouse cursor to the bottom left corner and right-click on the Windows logo and select Device Manager

2. In the Device Manager, expand the Network adapters category and locate your Ethernet adapter. If you see several adapters listed, look where it says something about "Intel", "Atheros", "Realtek", "Ethernet" "PCIe".

Once you have located it, right-click its name and select Uninstall. Check the Delete the driver software for this device check-box if it is available

3. Confirm by clicking OK, and once you see it has disappeared from the list, restart your computer

4. When your computer restarts, it will automatically detect the Ethernet adapter and re-install the drivers

5. After that, test the connection and let me know the results

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not eliminate the problem. My connection is still being dropped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windstream is adamant that the modem is working correctly and my computer is connected directly to their modem. My husband's is also connected directly and his works fine. My new ethernet cable - which Windstream indicated must be the problem - is obviously not the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops....in rereading your response, I uninstalled but did NOT delete the driver as you suggested. Let me try it again.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Sure, you can try again.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I don't think your new modem is the cause of the problem. It is possible that the Ethernet adapter on your desktop computer is faulty; however, let's do some further tests before we can be sure about that.

In case re-installing the drivers didn't make any difference, I suggest connecting the Ethernet cable into another LAN port on your modem. You can switch ports - connect your computer's Ethernet cable to the LAN port where your husband's computer Ethernet cable is currently connected, and then connect his Ethernet cable to the LAN port where your cable was connected.

Check the connection on both your husband's computer and yours.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

Hello again!

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.