Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

The modem light on my router is blinking orange. We have no

Customer Question

The modem light on my router is blinking orange. We have no internet through wifi, but can get a wired connection in the same line the modem is hooked to. Would this be a router problem or a modem problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. The modem is currently working, so the issue is with the router.

Have you tried this: Disconnect both power cords from the modem and the router devices for about 5 minutes

, then re-connect power cord to modem

, then connect ethernet/network cable from modem to router

, then connect power cord to the router

, then wait a few minutes and check.

; also, if you connect both the modem and the computer to the router (with two Ethernet/network cables), does internet work that way?

If it does not work, please let me know the model of your router; we will need to reset the router and set it up again to confirm.

Please reply the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

If it does not work, there is usually a tiny reset button at the back/bottom of the router; while power is connected, you can push & hold that reset button for about 12 seconds, then wait a few minutes and see if it works or not. Please let me know the model of your modem and router, so I can troubleshoot further.

When you are available, please reply the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.