Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I have a Dl-604 router ( My ISP (Maxcom, Mexico) is not

Customer Question

I have a Dl-604 router (http://setuprouter.com/router/dlink/di-604/manual-1576.pdf.) My ISP (Maxcom, Mexico) is not cable and does not provide/require username/pw to connect to the Internet. Instead, it provides a Linetec LT150MR modem/router, bridged as I understand, under a 10.0.0.0 ID network. So far, we have no problems connecting to internet if my router is not wired at all. But when I use my router with a static ip, as provided by the ISP, I may be able to have internet communications for a few hours but then it will stop, while maintaining local area connections though. All, despite having a 'Connected' status in the router. So, it seems that I am missing something in the router configuration. A typical computer configuration without my router is like: 10.210.247.83, subnet: 255.255.128.0, gateway: 10.210.128.1, dhcp:10.30.100.2, dns: 10.10.1.23, 201.161.6.48, 8.8.8.8. With my router, I have tried to use a 192.168.0.0 ID network with the problem mentioned before. Now assuming that you can successfully help us maintain connected with a ISP-provided static IP, can we also do it with a dynamic IP in my router? I am under a VLAN?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

First, I advise that you make sure the a-few-hours-then-stops status, is (or, is not) present even when you are not using your router at all.

To test that, simply use only one computer, directly connected to your Linetec LT150MR. For about 6 hours, to be quite sure.

Second, is your router a D-Link brand router? (or any brand but Netgear or Linksys or Cisco-Linksys...) if so, it is quite probable that the failure is essentially the router, not anything to do with configuration. Off-brand router names do often fail in something like the fashion you describe: being unable actually maintain a connection. And, even the good brand names occasionally fail.

Third... Given the above, I don't think that the difference between static and dynamic IP is significant.